Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW Gun Holder ideas
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-24-2005 20:21
Okay, this might sound a bit silly but I'm trying to "idiot proof" our GMAW Spray process. We have a nice positioner but I'm also trying to come up with some ideas for holding onto the MIG gun while doing long straight seams; or even steadying it while using our positioner. What I'm thinking of is something very simple, similar to the old circle burning torch holders, except for straight lengths or stable positioning Any ideas?
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-25-2005 03:58
I have a jig I built out of an old roller skate wheels { the metal ones}. I welded a circular collar onto the front of the skate wheel frame off center about 2" and use a section of 1/8"x2" flat stock as the guide track, it isn;t pretty like a manufacturer would sell but it cost about $6 plus the flat bar so total out of pocket was about $20. This setup still depends on the operators hand travel speed to be accurate for a consistant weld.

Hope this helps,
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-25-2005 10:52
Does Bug-O make a track guided holder or something along the lines of what you need?
just a thought,
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-25-2005 13:40
It's impossible to make anything 'idiot proof' because then they will only make better idiots. (I know 'cause I am one)

John's comment on the Bug-O equipment is the same thought that comes to my mind. We have used several types of Bug-Os, (the stitch welder, Uni-bugs, and others) with good success. The Uni-bug can travel vertical-upwards, and can also follow a reasonable radius if desired.
It clamps on an edge of a bar, angle, beam flange or whatever.
We have used ours with FCAW guns, plasma torches, and oxy-fuel torches.
We have also used the Airco type of track burners (turtles) the same way. There are lots of ways to securely clamp a Bernard or other type of gun to the equipment. We made up a toggle switch in parallel to the trigger switch, so that it allows triggering the wire into position then snap on the toggle for continuous running.

Not sure all that is what you were looking for but maybe it will spark an idea for you.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-25-2005 13:55
lol, yeah Chet, I know, I know... "idiot proof" was a bad choice of words! I'm just looking for ideas to make things as easy for my guys while still producing consistant quality welds. I'm reluctant to say that I'm trying to take the "human physical" variable out of the process, but that's actually all I'm looking to do. We've used GTAW for all of our critical welds to date but things are getting so busy I would like to make better use of our GMAW Spray systems.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW Gun Holder ideas