Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Toxic or Not??
- - By wiredtoad Date 05-26-2005 15:00

I have completed a BBQ/Smoker, the last thing I wanted to do was put a smoke stack coming off the side. I used a Liquid 55 Gal barrel,so there is a port for a 2" pipe to screw into.

The issue is I can't seem to find any pipe that is 2" and not Galvanized.
I was trying to avoid having to fabricate it.

Would it be harmful to use the Galvanized pieces? They will probably reach temperatures of 200~400 Deg.F. I have tried to find information on the degasing/Toxic info on Galvanized pipe, but haven't found anything worth while.

If anyone has any input please let me know. Most Likely I will just use some 2" tube coming off the top and and cut the port out and patch it... if I can't be sure the galv pipe is safe.

Nobody wants Toxic burgers, dogs, and Carne asada..
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-26-2005 16:44
I did a google search and everything seems to talk about the pipes going into your house or used for irrigation. It seems the zinc coating on the pipe is the toxic part, but it seems it was a problem with water. I did not see anything specifically about heat except that when it was welded the fumes were harmful, but it did not say how hot was too hot. My suggestion is to call the dealer and ask them- worst case scenario you can see the MSDS and decide from there.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-26-2005 16:51
I'd say that if you are unable to get a definitive answer, don't use it.
Parent - - By mikesewell Date 05-26-2005 19:24
wiredtoad,
You should be able to get "black iron" pipe in 2" nominal size. It is used for gas lines.
Parent - - By Sand Man (**) Date 05-27-2005 04:31
Go to any plumbing supply and tell them you want 2" black pipe.
easy as that.
Jeff
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-27-2005 11:29
I would have figured you could pick up 2" black pipe at any Lowes or Home Depot type store in the plumbing section.
John Wright

BTW, the bath that they dip galvanized parts in is kept in the 850F range, so I know the zinc is very liquid at that temperature.
Parent - By gangel99 (*) Date 06-01-2005 04:18
The issue is Zinc fumes. Zinc melts at 787 degrees F, but it doesn't boil (vaporize) until 1,665 degrees F and that is when you need to be concerned. You should be fine with a BBQ.

BTW most inexpensive wood stove smoke pipe is galvanized. The pipe on my wood stove has never melted, let alone boiled.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Toxic or Not??