Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ADVICE -- STARTING OWN WELDING RIG
- - By jfswelder (*) Date 05-21-2005 19:51
I AM 26 AND STARTED INVESTING IN MY OWN RIG. I HAVE A '03 3500 CHEVY WITH CUSTOM WELDING BED. I HAVE AN SA200 THAT I HAD PAST DOWN TO ME. I HAD IT REBUILT AND WORKS GREAT. I AM PRETTY CLOSE TO GATHERING ALL MY TOOLS TOGETHER BUT I STILL NEED SOME DIRECTION. MY FATHER IS A WELDER BUT HE DOES ORNAMENTAL IRON SO HE REALLY DOES NOT HAVE AN INSIGHT IN RIG WELDING. I WENT TO SCHOOL AT TSTC IN WACO TX TO LEARN PIPE WELDING BECAUSE I KNOW THAT PIPE WELDERS ARE THE BEST PAID WELDERS OUTTHERE AND MOST RESPECTED AMONGST THE TRADE. I NOW WORK IN A EXIBIT SHOP. I HANDLE ALL THERE WELDING AND FABRICATION ON ALUMINUM, STAINLESS, CARBON STEEL,AND SOME BRASS. I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR 3 YEARS AND REALLY ENJOY IT BUT I STILL WOULD LIKE TO BE WORKING AS A PIPE WELDER. WHAT I NEED IS IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A COMPANY IN THE TEXAS AREA WHO HIRES RIG WELDERS. THIS WAY I CAN HAVE A BETTER DIRECTION ON WHERE TO BEGIN LOOKING. THANKS.
Parent - By pro-weld Date 05-23-2005 15:47
Are you sure you want to be pipe welder? I know the money is good, but after working with all the different types of metal and welding processes, you will be staring at 6010 all day every day.
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 05-23-2005 16:03
I agree with pro-weld. I am not saying you should not try to get a job pipe welding but dont burn any bridges to do it. Remember the grass may look greener but that does not mean it will stay greener. I have welders leave the shop I work in for greener pastures and they blow the bridge up. Then in 2 weeks they come back begging to get the "I can get a better job than this " job back.
Parent - - By jfswelder (*) Date 05-24-2005 01:46
[deleted]
Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 05-25-2005 00:38
I am not a pro welder but I did work in Human Resources in a fairly large (non-welding) company where one of my tasks was to help employees with career questions.

The "don't burn bridges" is excellent advice. May seem obvious but it is surprising how many fools do it!

If you really want to do pipewelding or anything else for that matter then do it! Down the road you may say it wasn't the best thing you ever did but at least you tried. This is much better than spending the rest of your life thinking what might have been if you had the courage to make the move. There is one caution though.

Caution: If you have a family to support or other serious obligations is your dream workable if there are some lean times ahead? Will your spouse (if you have one) give you the emotional support needed for anything you may encounter such as being away for long periods of time. You don't want to end up the world's best but lonliest pipewelder. Unfortunately practical concerns have put many dreams on hold and if this applies to you then you have a hard decision to make. Often the dreams are still workable but require an extra bit of dedication and gumption to make them work.

Good luck.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 05-31-2005 17:54
I am the welding development consultant for a natural gas/electric utility. Obviously we have plenty of pipelines but also piping in the compressor stations and at our Nuclear facitilities. Our sizes range from 36" down to 3/8". We use both company employeed welders and contract welders (which you are talking about). For the contract pipeline welders we pay 42/hr labor and 14.90/hr for renting their equipment (57/hr total). For the pipe indoors (building trades pipe welder) we add 6/hr to the labor but they use our equipment, so there is no rental fee. We contract from local unions and from out-of-state. So there is usually a lot of travel or at least will be at slower times for you. I qualified a pipeliner last week who was in Montana, Mich, and Texas within the last 10 months. Not all have to travel. Anyway, you will probably not recieve any offers unless you join a union. You will probably recieve apprentice pay for the 1st 4-5 years regarless of experience to become a journeyman. We will pay journeman money to an apprentice if they are qualified to sec. 6.3 of the API 19th., and we get written approval from their union rep....doesn't happen often. Building Trades welding is much more versitile, different alloys, processes and such without as much travel. Just a little input. Thanks
Parent - - By jfswelder (*) Date 06-01-2005 01:27
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, BUT i STILL HAVE SOME QUESTIONS? FOR EXAMPLE iSTHERE IS A UNION IN TEXAS WHERE I COULD BEGIN TO LOOK INTO? IF THERE IS, WHERE? wHAT KIND OF UNION IS IT? PIPLINE WELDERS WHERE THEY USE THERE WELDING RIGS OR THERE PIPEWELDERS WITH NO WELDING RIGS?
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-01-2005 13:33
Local 798 in Tulsa still has a pretty good stronghold on Texas I believe, could be wrong. There are still locals within Texas, I just am not familiar with them. Some things to look at online just to get a little taste - browse for U. A. local 798 and U. A. local 190. Also search " U.A. Local..." and you should get a list. All of the pipeliners we contract use their own rigs. You do not have to live near the union local to be a member.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ADVICE -- STARTING OWN WELDING RIG