Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How to prepare for CWI Exam
- - By reper33 Date 03-30-2001 14:46
I have been taking a class to prepare for the test but i am not sure if i can keep all the memory work it was a five week class with the test on the 21st of april.Can anyone give a answer to what to work on the most ?I have been welding for about seven years and working with a CWI for about six months.I will be taking the test on april 21.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-30-2001 16:39
Rep,
You have to prepare for the 5 day seminar. I know many people who figured just take the class and then the test. WRONG. There will be a lot of information you'll have to remember in the 5 day crash course, you better have a very good memory. I studied for a year on my own before I took the CWI exam 10 years ago.

The best way to approach this is to study and actualy learn the material instead of buying questions and answers at crash courses. I am training 3 individuals at the present time in the Eastern U.S., They had planned to take the AWS crash course, I was asked to evaluate them (all 3 are experienced welders) and they were not ready for the AWS seminar, we are currently making very good progress.

Get your hands on as much study material as possible. Concentrate on the processes and test methods delineated in the AWS QC1.
The very best of luck on your exam.
Parent - - By reper33 Date 04-12-2001 01:21
Thanks for the help I was push to take the class. I think that i should have waited and just got the information to study. but I didn't so now I'm out $1410.00 so I hope that I can pass the test.
Parent - By MarkZ71 Date 05-29-2001 05:22
Hey I took the siminar and the test all in a weeks time. And I passed. I would advise anyone that is going to take the test to take API 1104 for the code test. 70% of the 150 Question Fundemental Exam is in the Inspector Handbook. The Practical Part was fairly simple it was really common scince I took D1.1 and that was a hell of a test. Thats why i would recommed 1104. At the 40 hour Siminar you recieve practice questions for the code test and that is something you want get if you try to do it on your own. It was well worth the money. They cover everything that will be on the test. TAKE THE SIMINAR.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-31-2001 15:36
The following is from a response I sent to an E-mail I received from someone I didn't know that was suggesting a CWI Course. I don't know why they sent me the email but I responded with my idea of a course that didn't cost $500.00- $600.00.

------
1) Study all you can about welding technology. Welding Handbook Volume 1
2) Understand the meaning of terms and definitions including those used for describing discontinuities. Welding Handbook Volume 1
3) Get a basic undertanding of metallurgy. Welding Handbook Volume 1
4) Receive a basic introduction to the capabilities of various welding
processes. Welding Handbook Volume 1
5) Receive a basic introduction to NDT methods, capabilities and
limitations. Welding Handbook volume 1
6) Be familar with the available codes and standards that are used and how they are applied and their jurisdiction. Welding Handbook Volume 1
7) Get a basic understanding of Safety Issues related to Welding and Allied Processes. Welding Handbook Volume 1
8) Get a job in the welding field using some or all of the information
above. Life
9) Get the code book you have been using at work and understand how it is laid out. Pick a code
9) Take the test on the code you use at work or any other code since the code portion is open book.

Of course from my experience in the field and from talking with others the
above method is not practical since it takes years of being interested in
the science of welding and many hours in the bathroom reading.
------
All of the above may not help you but I do highly recommend a copy of the "Welding Handbook Volume 1" to be located in a convienient location for random reading. In my opinion studying because of interest is much better than studying for a test. Retention is much better, years vs months.

I have never been through a formal course so I am not familar with the extent they cover all of the curriculum. But maybe this is of use.

Have a good day
Gerald Austin
http://www.geocities.com/pipewelder_1999/

Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 03-31-2001 18:00
Good advice.
Parent - - By THS-CWI (*) Date 04-07-2001 22:59
There is no substitute for experience in welding. You may be able to pass your exam after attending a "Seminar" but you will never have the respect of the Welders whos work you are critisizing unless you are able to display scarred arms and the ability to show them that you can weld as good if not better than they can. Spoken with 30+ years as a welder before I took the test.
Parent - By patsweeney Date 10-09-2001 14:20
I believe a welder to,should have a few scar's to prove some worth. In my experiece's I have learned that welder's can be the most inner competetive of all the trade's. In a shop environment, usually the welder who is the best, get's more respect than a lesser welder, unless he is a fool. I have seen welder's act like school girl's in their attempt to be noticed for their talent! It can be a very hard trade to learn properly for some and when one really get's to be a good welder, and believe me, I know welder's that work as welder's, that aren't even welder's, these individual's can be a nuisance to a real welder! Anyway this is a truth that real men would not like to discuss but unfortunately it happen's!Unfortunately, many employer's don't really understand how much a REAL WELDER should truly know, as they are totally clueless of metallurgy themselve's! Make no mistake, welding is a science to be done properly, and most people who weld at home and in a garage are not REAL WELDER'S. 115 volt mig welder's have really hurt the trade!
Parent - - By n5uzt (**) Date 04-10-2002 01:33
GOOD INFO BUT WHAT CAN YOU STUDY FOR THE HANDS ON PART B?
sorry about the caps, i have missed the part b by one question and am going to retest in about 6 weeks any help would be appreciated.
i am an old ship yard welder and construction and alot of production.
have been a certified welder at one time but for the last 25 years work for a family owned welding supply dist. with 12 stores and i manage 2 of them. i believe in studing for the test. all that i can
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-10-2002 11:47
Make sure you are familar with the tools supplied for the test.

Be sure to follow the acceptance criteria for the test. Some of the welds look "rough" but rough is not addressed.

Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 05-02-2002 14:55
I usually take my classes out on the shop floor and we examine the welds that are complete using the D1.1 code as the criteria. Often welds are found to be rejectable that have been accepted previously when a code book is utilized. This seems to work very well for practice of weld inspection.

I also use weld samples that I fabricated with intentional discontinuities for the practical/hands on portion of the exam and training.

Take the sample acceptance criteria sent to you before you took the exam and put it to good use in real time situations using weld gauges.

Good luck with round 2.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 04-03-2001 03:42
Please submit a summary of past welding and inspection experience and I will advise.

Francis X. Brieden
Welding Department Chairman
CWI #1010151
Johnson Technical Institute
3427 North Main Avenue
Scranton, PA 18508
email: fbrieden@netscape.net
Parent - By BCSORT (*) Date 04-06-2001 00:15
PIPEWELDER 1999 is right. I just recieved my CWI less that 3 weeks ago. What helped me alot was reading the Inspection Technology Text book, and when you read it make sure that you understand exactly what you are reading and if you don't, well read it over again. As far as the code section, if you want to get the CWI in a hurry (like myself) I would suggest the API 1104, it is about 70 pages and $80. Compare that to the D1.1 at over 500 pages and $200. The Inspection Technology Work Book was probably the most helpful because it gives you an idea of the type of question that are on the exam....infact there were quite a few questions I remember from the work book that were on the exam also. Another thing to remember when taking the exam is to understand the question, they're sneaky if you aren't careful, and use the 2 hours that you have for each section, you paid good $$$$ for those couple of hours might as well use it. Good Luck.
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 05-07-2001 15:49
I have found that the key to passing the exam is to know exactly what the question is asking you. Break the question down into its key terms, if you do not have a clear understanding of the key terms as defined by AWS, you will be in trouble. That is why I suggest to our people taking the exam that they study AWS A3.0 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions. So if you don't know what a faying surface is or the difference between a back weld and a backing weld, then you will be in trouble. Good luck.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-08-2001 02:36

Well,

How did your test go?
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 10-11-2001 16:22
1. Use the code you will be using for work. "Easy" codes such as the API will not help you on the job.

2. Study.

3. If you can afford the AWS sanctioned seminar, take it. They will review most of the test material although it is briskly paced.

4. See number 2.

I have several of my students in the past who relied on attending the AWS seminar and then took the exam withotu studying, that's why they are taking the test again (with further training this time around).

You have to earn that wallet card and certificate.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How to prepare for CWI Exam