Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beam Cambering Machine
- - By QCCWI (***) Date 06-03-2005 12:31
Could anyone recommend a good beam cambering machine.The classic camber machine in my shop will not camber any beams over a 24x84. The majority of the beams that come throught my shop that get camber now are 27 inches and above. I hate to see beams get cambered with heat. It is a every ten minute thing telling guys that they cannot heat the beams over 1100 degrees. There just has to be a better way to camber beams.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 06-03-2005 12:44
This is a common machine found in many shops. http://www.oceanmachinery.com/peddinghaus-beam-cambering-machines.htm
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 06-03-2005 12:54
I have been looking at Peddinghaus cambering machines. I would like to know if the cambering machines will do what they say the will do. I can tell you I can fly just don't make me prove it. So does anyone work in a shop that uses one?
Parent - - By gkcwi (**) Date 06-03-2005 13:17
QCCWI, We boght from a firm in Texas the plans and hardware to built our cambering machine, And to be truthfil, it appears to us that Peddihouse just copied that firms machine. Ours is a "REAL" time saver, and we found some ways to make it do some things that it not supposed to do. An by buiding it ourselves, saved a lot of money over a purchase price.
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 06-03-2005 13:37
Could you get me the name of the firm in Texas?
Parent - - By gkcwi (**) Date 06-03-2005 13:55
QCCWI, Could you email me your address, really don't like to promote a one company's products over another, if you know what I mean.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 06-07-2005 22:08
On the other hand, Peddinghaus has already been mentioned; might as well give them a little competition, no?

Hg
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-03-2005 13:48
You know, I think if I had to come up with a cambering machine I would do just what you said here, build it myself.

We have a Peddinghaus cambering machine, which also has a difficult time with heavy beams over 27". The design is very simple and fabricating one is certainly within the capabilities of any shop the works with structural steel.
My only caution is that the design should be evaluated by a competent PE , whether you buy plans that are pre-checked or if you design your own. Our machine has twin 200 ton hydraulic rams on it and there are times when they stall out with heavy beams. It is easy to see that you certainly don't want to have anything break under load.

A check to make sure you are not infringing on a patent or copyright might not be a bad idea either.

Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Beam Cambering Machine