Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some questions from a student welder.
- - By bobthestudent Date 06-06-2005 01:39
Hello all,
I'm enrolled at a vo-tech taking a 13 month welding program and I have a few questions that would be best answered by professionals with some experience in the industry. I'm disabled (but I can still work, it's not like I can't walk or anything) and this puts me in the running for several dozen grants to start my own business. A lot of research has shown that I'm eligible for around $700,000 in grants from the state, federal governments, and private organizations. Realistically I can expect to recieve about half that amount. What are some tips for starting a viable business? I'd like to do mobile welding and I have my eye on that new International CXT truck. Maybe that with a enclosed trailer and I could have a nice rolling shop. What kind of equipment should I get? I have a while til I graduate and can start applying for grants but I'd like to begin formulating a business strategy. How much per hour, advertising, keeping overhead under control, supplies, equipment, maintenance, what kind of work to do, should I specialize etc. One of the things I enjoy doing is traveling which is why I thought of a mobile shop with a decent truck. That way I won't be overstressing a 1 ton pick up by lugging a 30 foot trailer loaded with tools. I'm pretty good with tools and fixing things so maybe I could incorporate a small workshop with some benches, compressed air, lighting, cabinets, tool chests, etc. Kinda lost as to where to start. I'm not a young kid, just waited a while to figure out what to do before I decided to go to school. What got me started down this road was my enthusiasm for off-roading and learning how to make stuff for my rig. Any tips, ideas, suggestions, comments, criticism, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks! Bob
Parent - By Rufus (*) Date 06-06-2005 04:48
Hi Bob,sounds like you have it figured out. Well, good luck, because before you can establish a successful business, you have to have what they call (experence in the field) and references. I don"t mean to sound negitive, but I've been there for over 15yrs. There are all types of problems you run into. First and formost, you need to be an all-around fitter. Able to fit angles on pipe,beam,channel, angle iron, etc. To be able to perform any task you are asked to do. Any company hand you a blueprint, you need to be able to read it and build it. So there is a lot more to it than taking a class, rigging up a truck, hitting the road and ever after. I'm talking from experience. Welding has always fasinated me, since I was a teen, learning the bacics from a friends father who was an instructor in all aspects of welding. From then until now, being a weldor, has taken me on journeys from east coast to west coast, southern states, Gulf of Mexico, South America to California. I've done what you're wanting to do. And it's not easy or simple. Working for yourself is the greatest feeling in the world. But, after you take in consideration all the overhead, consumables, insurance, worker-comp., hired help, taxes, etc. Instead of contracting out to a company, for me it was just best to go to work for them. Good Luck & Happy Travels
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-06-2005 05:47
Hi Bobthestudent!!!

I hate to disappoint you if you're looking for criticism in this forum because, I can only speak for myself but, I'll only give you encouragement, ideas, suggestions and guidance if possible...

First of all, I personally would like to congratulate you, and commend you for your courage, enthusiasm and overall zest for life itself!!!

I too am considered permanently disabled (Liver Transplant in 97) but, my disability came later in my life... It's very refreshing to read of another person's desire to continue to live their life to the fullest in spite of adversity.

You say you're currently enrolled in a Vo-Tech taking a 13 month welding program? Well then, get familiar with reading and laying out & drawing them so that you can design the layout of your mobile welding shop truck...

One thing I should point out to you is that you should'nt realistically expect to depend only on your mobile shop to gain all of the necessary experience required to become a journeyman or to start your own business immediately after you graduate from the course unless that is, you have previous experience welding prior to your disability... Please do'nt take this as criticism because, my intent is'nt at all to discourage you.

I would first suggest that you secure those grants you're talking about in order to have a better idea what amount of money you'll have to work with prior to building your truck... It's a good idea to make up a solid business plan to submit when applying for these grants.

I do'nt know what part of the country you live in but, if you have knowledge of any other rig welders nearby, you could pick their brains on how they started out, and they can guide you on what you need to do and, what you need to avoid in order to become a successful business owner.

The business plan can be formulated by asking established mobile shops in your area for assistance which can easily be found in the local yellow pages under "welding"... I'm sure that more than one will be happy to assist you - if you sell yourself in a proper manner and in effect, doing this will give you an opportunity to gain experience in selling your business to future customers.

Now, there are alot of professionals in this forum that would also be more than happy to give you guidance you seek so, I'll stop here and let them chime in.

I am curious where you are applying for these grants because, I tried to apply by myself to a few while I was waiting and after my transplant but, could not do it all by myself so I went back into teaching welding instead... If you could lead me in a direction where to apply to some of them for myself, I would be most greatful!!!
my e-mail is: hanklive39@hotmail.com
I had a few setbacks along the way but, now it looks like things are coming back to normal so, expect setbacks, disappointments and the like. Most important of all, is to listen to yourself...One last thing - NEVER GIVE UP ON YOU DREAMS!!!

All the BEST to YOU!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-07-2005 06:45
I think that two things you would want are- some introduction to business law so you don't inadvertantly make yourself into an indentured servant, and some ability to estimate the price for a job.
Good luck (it never hurts)
Bill
Parent - - By bobthestudent Date 06-14-2005 22:57
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I really appreciate the advice. Working for someone else is not very appealing to me because I have a mental disability that makes me slower than others. I have found through hard experience that many employers want a very fast worker and unfortunately I'm not very fast. Thats another reason for me wanting to work for myself, to a certain extent I can set my own pace.
Parent - By michelle (*) Date 06-15-2005 16:04
Good luck with your schooling and rig- I just wanted to comment on the CXT truck- those are awesome and should be more than able to carry all your welding gear :)

Michelle
Parent - By bobby1 (*) Date 08-21-2005 12:23
I have been welding for 9 years, the first job I took was repairing frieght cars that have been wrecked. I understand what you want it is what we all would like to do. I have looked hard and long and the best advice to give is to take baby steps. Get the education, find a job that suits your needs the school should help you with that. A fter you work in the field for some time you may find that all you want is where you are at. This is a great field ran by a lot of companies that do not apprieciate the skills and talents of todays welders. I want you to know that every person who has the drive to succeed and the will to work hard shall overcome any and all things. Do not let your dissability discurage you or become a decission factor in getting your experince, BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED THIS BEFORE YOU CAN START A GREAT BUISNESS. BEST OF LUCK NEVER LET THEM HOLD YOU BACK PUSH THROUGH AND BECOME WHAT YOU DREAM OF.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some questions from a student welder.