Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Man am I in Big Trouble!!!!
- - By craig Date 06-21-2005 08:30
I'm new here, i am testing for a millwright position at a large Steel Mill..i have 4 hand's on tests Wednesday morning...it's not a basis of employment, but rather a way for them to determine my skill sets

here's the clencher...one of the tests is 4G Pipe welding test...to which i know little about...if memory serves me right, i want to says its a vertical weld test...but i am not sure, i have only stick welded a few times...and never large pipe, just rollbars for a stock car once, about 15 years ago......any and all pointers would be appreciated

I know little to nothing about welding...i mean i know that a gas shield prevents porosity, i know to clean my runs before passing over them...but i am gonna be lost here..i just really want this job, so if anyone could help it would be great

thanks

craig
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-21-2005 12:25
craig; hate to be the bearer of bad news but man, you titled your posting right! You are in big trouble, there's no way to give enough pointers to help you pass these tests in the timeframe you need. I guess most importantly, keep everything very clean between passes as you already mentioned, get in as comfortable of position as the test conditions will allow you to do, finally, since it is not a condition of employment, try to be as relaxed as you possible can. Good luck!!!
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-21-2005 13:50
Hello Craig,
I think the first issue is I have never seen a 4G pipe test. Could it be a 5G test? Second it does not sound like you have the basic skills for doing this test. But I think what they want is to see where you are in your skill level so they can set up a training schedule for you. When I was with ALCOA they gave us the same skills assesments tests. I know ALCOA is not a steel mill but it's prob. the same union.(steelworkers) So I would agree with John and just relax, do your best, and don't try to give the inpression that you can do more than what your saying in this post.
Hope that helps
Jim
Parent - - By craig Date 06-21-2005 16:35
thanks jon and jim, yes i thought my thread title was quite appropriate:) thanks for the advice...i'm 36 and trying something new, so i don't plan on acting as though i know what i'm doing..hopefully i can at least get the weld on the plate, which is what it is actually..overhead..yay, i'm gonna fail miserably, but i think i'll inform the facilitator ahead of time...i know a few things...but no experience in this class of welding is going to shine through.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-21-2005 16:50
well, good luck anyway. It's a wonderful field to get into and 36 isn't too late if you're interested!
Parent - - By mnelson (*) Date 06-21-2005 17:53
Could it be 4G and a plate test? That would be overhead!
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-22-2005 08:47
Craig,
Hope you are not reading this post after your test,not sure of the time difference between Australia and USA.
As Jon and Jim have already stated it is very hard to try passing on all the info you require but a lot of it will depend on your natural ability.Some people can pick up a handpiece and show ability straight away, some people can become proficient welders with appropriate training, and some people unfortunately will never become proficient welders.
The 4G (overhead) weld test is not a particularly hard weld test, what is hard is the actual position.(Does that make sense)What I am meaning is the fact that all the hot weld spatter is falling directly onto your helmet,down your neck,down the sleeves of your welding jacket and generally into every little hole in your protective clothing.
1 Make sure you have a good leather welding jacket and welding hood.
2 Make sure you are welding at a comfortable height.
3 Make sure you have clean welding lenses and correct shade lens.
4 Keep your arc as short as possible (as your rod burns away you have to keep reminding yourself to keep pushing upwards)
5 Use a cutting disc to make a straight groove (only lightly) This will give you a straight line to follow across the plate.
6 Don't try weaving your weld, run lots of little hot stringers.
Other than that, Best of luck,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-22-2005 11:52
Craig; when all is said and done, why don't you drop back in and update us on how you did?
Parent - - By craig Date 06-24-2005 06:48
well i passed all the millwright tests...the welding never happened, i was asked if i was certified, to which i stated "no" so the facilitator asked me some welding general knowledge stuff, i gave him some answers...it went good...turns out the weld test was actually 5g horizontal pipe...haha..thank god i didn't have to do it.

i was told i had the best attitude out of 37 people he tested, and i actually did well on the hydraulics print reading...which most people fail miserably at...

thanks to all for your help, regardless of the inaction, i'm going into training in 3-4 weeks...and i will learn to weld, amongst other things
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-24-2005 12:01
Fantastic! Well, a very big congratulations then! I think you will enjoy it once you begin learning to weld, it truly is a wonderful career and the learning possibilities (and career growth) are literally endless!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-24-2005 12:49
Great news! Thanks for the update:)
John Wright
Parent - By michelle (*) Date 06-24-2005 17:19
Good Job and Good Luck!!! Keep us posted as you go through your training :)
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-24-2005 19:40
Great Job Craig. Is this Job a United Steel Workers Job?
Jim
Parent - By craig Date 06-25-2005 05:42
thanks fellas...yes jim, it's USWA...the company is US Steel...so its big money...i have been a tattooist for the past 10 years....i'm very good at it, but the trend in tattoos has caused an explosion of wannabe's opening shops and my pay isn't nearly what it used to be, it's quickly becoming an oversaturated market. I worked as an outside contractor in the local steel mills for 5 years out of high school, as a waterblaster and operator...as well as putting in a few years at a mini-mill, so my knowledge of industry is pretty good...i've tried getting into the millwrights for 4+ years now and the mills since 1994...after serving my country i thought i wouldn't have a problem....guess it doesn't mean what it used to...but now i'm in...and very happy
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Man am I in Big Trouble!!!!