Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ESAB Mig Purchase
- - By pawlicker Date 06-26-2005 05:08
I have a chance to buy a new Esab Migmaster 250 with a ST-23A spoolgun and tanks for a great price. I am an old buzz box guy who has been spoiled with a buddys Miller 210. I thought I would stop mooching and buy my own. Any thoughts on the Esab? I would like something flexable.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 06-27-2005 00:24
I also have a mm210 and I wouldn't trade it for two of anything else in the same price range. It is only a good deal if it works for you and it doesn't give you trouble. Only 1 question why is it for sale?

Peace,
pjs
Parent - - By pawlicker Date 06-27-2005 05:10
Good question. I think the owner got into money trouble. I know the mm210 has a good reputation. Just looking for feedback on the ESAB.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 06-27-2005 16:08
I have used that Esab machine, with that model spoolgun, and it works well. If I remember, the esab has switches for voltage and a fine control dial from there. I ran 1/16 and .045 4043 and 5356 with the spoolgun and .045 steel, it ran good. If you are getting a great deal....buy it. But the one I used belonged to a buddy and he got it new for what I thought was cheap compared to the MM210/ or the Lincoln. Check the new price to know for sure it's a great deal.
Parent - - By Brand X (*) Date 06-27-2005 17:13
It is in a whole different class then a 210 machine. The esab has a harsher arc then a MM210 but runs.035/.045 wire much better. It does run .023/.030 fine though. You can use C-10/C15 gas to mellow it out some and then you can short arc/spray arc with one bottle. It works much better then Millers if you try the same thing. It also runs CO2 pretty well. In fact I use to own the same package as your going to buy. The main problem with those machines (sometimes) is the contactors have problems. They make a heavy-duty contactor for about $65.00+ if you have a problem. Esab loves to put a lot of air over their machines which means a louder fan. Right at this time I would buy a Esab 250 plus over a MM-251.They fixed the contactor and quieted up the fan and added a extra inductance tap.They are tough machines
that take a real beating.
Parent - By pawlicker Date 06-28-2005 03:50
Thanks guys. I will do my homework. The price just looks so good for a machine with a good duty cycle. The whole setup is priced the same as a mm210 maybe a little less. I don't do much work on thin stock mostly 3/16" and up (to 1/2"). Sounds like its time to trade up!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ESAB Mig Purchase