Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / repairing plasma cutter
- - By leon phelps (**) Date 07-01-2005 15:46
Hello,

I have a plasma cutter that was lent out. I now get a message that there is low voltage on the LED. I know the electric is fine since my welder is working fine.

Any idea where to start for trying to repair?

The plasma cutter is a hypertherm 900.
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-02-2005 03:34
Is it primary voltage? Perhaps your "friend" did some rewiring on the input board.

Also-loose connections should be checked. I have done this on many Hyprtherm plasmas of your model and vintage with good results.

Check it out.

Let me know in detail your problem, I might be able to help.

Email me direct as I don't get on the board as much as I would like.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By leon phelps (**) Date 07-23-2005 00:38
Someone from Hypertherm promised me a manual and schematic a month ago. I havent heard from him and wondered if he forgot me.

Thanks for any guidance to who/where he is.
Parent - By thedoctor (*) Date 07-23-2005 17:04
The 900 is one of the last Hypertherms that need to have the input voltage set in two different places in order to run on any given voltage. To verify that is correct you need to remove the rear lower panel and check the connections according to what voltage you have. It is normal for a welding machine to run but a plasma not run on bad power. Welding machines do not have a voltage-sensing shutdown citcuit like these plasma units do. If you need a portion of the service manual faxed to you, let me know. We are a Hypertherm field repair shop.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / repairing plasma cutter