Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Sorting Cast Steel With Ultrasonics
- - By thekoz (*) Date 06-30-2005 14:32
I know there are some good UT practitioners that hang out here, so I hope someone can help me. I need to sort out some heat treated steel castings from non-heat treated steel castings. If I can do it with Ultrasonics, it could save me alot of time. Does any one here have any experience with this?
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 07-01-2005 00:54
Post this querry in the Inspection Forum. UT dweebs galore over there.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-01-2005 08:41
Hey bonnieweldor!

You might want to first learn how to spell the word "query" instead of "querry" before you start calling persons who frequent this forum "UT Dweebs"!!! More than one of these extrordinary individuals want to share their wide range of knowledge and experience in order to pass it on to anyone that want to learn more about this method of NDT.

Respectfully,
SSBN727 - Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 07-01-2005 10:59
Some people consider "dweeb" a badge of honor and accomplishment, nowadays. Depends on which forums one may frequent, I geuss. Myself and NDE operators have a long history of getting along quite well, thank yuo.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 07-01-2005 19:45
I did not know UT was used for material sorting and segregation. I know ET is commonly used to perform this task.

Do you have any other info on UT sorting of materials?
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 07-05-2005 11:53
This proud dweeb (as long as it earns extra padding in the wallet) does not know an easy way to do this. I guess the sound may travel at a different velocity through different steels but it would seem to me at not significantly different velocities so segregating them that way would seem tough. Don't know enough about ET to comment about it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Sorting Cast Steel With Ultrasonics