Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What steps do I take???
- - By oglesbywelds (*) Date 07-14-2005 04:59
I want to be AWS Certified...but how? I want to branch out with my welding career. I do know there are different Tests and Qualifications to be taken on the outside of Navy mitary bases and shipyards. I was told that I could take ROP welding classes and they would prep and pay for the certification. I think I'm getting some good info but then end up at a dead end. I made some phone calls and all of the places gave me the same answer...they pay for zip. So, who and possibly where could I get the proper information from?

Thanks,Sam
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-14-2005 12:09
Hi Sam,

I had a lot of the same questions when I got out of the Navy.
Everybody kept pointing me toward the local Vo-Tech school, however when I got there, they were unable to "Certify" me, but they said they could teach me to weld...
Anyway, the deal with the certification is that each individual employer has to "certify" you according to the welding code or codes that they are using. That means that when you apply for a job, if you are considered due to past employment history, they'll give you a welding test which will most likely consist of a couple of pieces of beveled plate to butt weld together, or the same except with pipe. After you weld the test plate, if it passes visual inspection they will cut straps from the test piece and bend them like a horseshoe. As long as they straps don't break in the weld and there are no big holes, you pass and they write up your "certification". This cert is only good for the company that gave it to you. If you quit and go somewhere else you have to re-certify.
By the way, this doesn't cost you anything. Often, if the company is having trouble getting welders, they'll even pay you to come in and test.

Now, if you want to, you can locate an American Welding Society certified testing facility and pay them to set you up with the same tests I just mentioned. If you pass, they will issue a certification paper that belongs to you and you alone. The "catch" in this case is that while it looks good on your resume when you apply for a job, they are most likely going to make you re-test anyway. Also, any certification is only good for 6 months. The only way to make it last longer is to be involved with an employers welding program where they document your welding "continuity". If you have official documentation stating that you have used the process that you certified for then it extends your certification for another 6 months from that date. This sequence can go on for an unlimited amount of years if it is kept up properly. If you independently test with an AWS facility, you'll have to keep going back and pay them to re-new your cert.

I can give you some more detailed info if you can answer some questions.
What was your rate in the Navy? Hull Tech?
Did you go to "A" or "C" school or both?
Where are you going to live when you get out?

Fire away with any more questions. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people who watch this board.

Tim Gary
USN HT '87 - '91
Parent - By oglesbywelds (*) Date 07-15-2005 04:05
What's goin on Tim???
Thanks man...that is excactly what I needed to know. I agree with everything that you have mentioned. I just didn't realize that these same procedures would apply outside of the military bases (recertifying for each employer,etc). To answer your questions. I am not in the military but I do work side by side as a government contractor with the men and women on the ships. Considering that there is so much about welding I will always be right there to listen and learn. Again, thank you.

Sam
Parent - - By Rufus (*) Date 07-17-2005 06:16
Hi Sam, The way you get certed is by the employer. Your certs are good for as long as you do at least one certified weld with in a 3mth period on the job. Some places will recognise certs that are not being used, that you hold, for up to 6mnts. If you are a UNION MEMBER, most times you can do an update at no cost to you. You can take as many test and hold as many certs on many different metal, alloys as you can get. I have been welding for @ 26yrs. At one time I held 27 different certs, For stick, tig, mig, and automatic robotics. So you see, You, my fellow weldor, can accomplish and do it too. Remember that no weldor should have to pay for cert papers out of pocket. But, once you get them, they are yours. And you CAN take them with you to another job. Because, you'll hold them in your hands. In the form of certificates. Good Luck! Rufus
Parent - By oglesbywelds (*) Date 07-25-2005 03:53
Hey Rufus. What's goin on? Twenty-seven, huh. Man, I can't even imagine having that many under my belt. Can I ask you about becoming a union member? I have heard a lot of different things about fees, dues and so forth. Is this all worth being employed through the union? Does it gaurantee your job? Can you posssibly fill me in a little about the unions ups and downs? I am willing to learn so much about this career of mine as a welder. I know it's going to take time but if there is a particular way of doing this I would really like to know...get my foot in the door. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sam Oglesby
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What steps do I take???