Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LEG SIZE
- - By samh (**) Date 07-21-2005 16:24
WHAT SIZE FILLET WOULD I PUT ON JOINING 1" PLATE TO 1" PLATE
I AM JOINING A HEEL TO A PIECE OF PLATE 7018 FILL AND CAP
ALSO WOULD A WEAVE BEAD BE BETTER OR STRINGER BEADS.ALOT OF PRESSURE IS ON THIS.THIS IS A REPAIR.THE ORIGINAL WELD IS CRACKING
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-21-2005 16:49
The fillet size would really need to be calculated based on the amount of stress it will be subjected to. Calculations may determine that a fillet weld is not sufficient to resist the stresses imposed upon it. A partial or complete penetration weld may be needed. I can tell you that the minimum fillet weld size for a one inch thick plate is 5/16". What size is the weld that cracked? Do you know the material grade? The previously deposited weld metal?
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 07-21-2005 18:39
the last weld size on it was 5/8" wide.material is low alloy carbon and the piece welded on to it is ar 400 plate
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-21-2005 19:40
AR400 is a quench and tempered steel and may be difficult to weld due its high strength and hardenability. The base steel around the weld rapidly heats and cools during welding, resulting in a heat affected zone (HAZ) with high hardness. Any hydrogen in the weld metal may diffuse into HAZ and may cause hydrogen embrittlement, resulting in delayed underbead or toe cracks outside of the weld. To minimize heat affected zone cracking use a low hydrogen consumable with an -H4 or -H2 designation. Preheat to slow the cooling rate. Note that excessive preheat may anneal the base material. Slow cool. More time at elevated temperatures allows the dissolved hydrogen to escape. Peen the weld beads to minimize residual weld stresses. Use the lowest strength filler metal meeting design requirements. If making fillet welds, the weld can be oversized to give the specified strength. Minimize weld restraint.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-21-2005 19:48
Isn't the minimum fillet size per AWS D1.1 equal to 1/2 the thickness of the thinner part joined?
That would make the minimum weld size in this case 1/2".
I would go with the engineering calcs in this case though...

Tim
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-21-2005 20:33
Tim,
I'm not familiar with that. Do you have a reference? Take a look at Table J2.4 Minimum Size of Fillet Welds in the ASD Manual. The minimum size fillets in this table is dependent on the thicker of the two parts joined. It indicates a 5/16" fillet for material thickness of over 3/4". That's where I get the 5/16" fillet on the 1" thick plate. Also, see Table 5.8 in D1.1. In addition to Table 5.8, Note 2 indicates that the weld size need not exceed the thickness of the thinner part joined. That same statement is made in the ASD Manual. I think what they mean here, for example, is not to put a 5/16" fillet weld along the edge of a 1/4" thick plate. On the other hand, should a 1" thick base plate be welded to a column that has a web thickness of 1/4", the minimum size fillet would be 5/16".
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-22-2005 12:22
swnorris,
I looked up table 5.8 and found you to be exactly right. I was wrong.
That's what I get for not double checking before spouting off at the mouth...
Thanks for straightening me out.

Tim
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 07-24-2005 03:32
thanks for the information. when i went to repair it the crack was not a crack.the weld that joins the heel to the piece of plate was fine.just outside the weld it was tearing the plate out.also in some spots right beside the weld it was tearing but there was no crack.there was metal still attached to the weld but it was torn loose from main part.does it usally tear out right at the weld or could it be to hot or weak metal?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-24-2005 14:09
Possibly Lamellar tearing that has propagated to the surface of the base metal? I have several thoughts on this but before wasting time posting them I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. Any thoughts guys?
Parent - By samh (**) Date 07-24-2005 23:15
the heel that was welded to the plate was v beveled and 100 percent weld put in it and had no tearing but where it meet the plate the plate was not beveled and that was where it tore.all i can see is there was so much pressure on this and the one weld no being beveled that something had to give and it tore part of the metal out of the plate? but im just a dumb welder so i really dont know
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LEG SIZE