Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / General Electric Gas welder
- - By RCRivers Date 07-21-2005 04:34
I am new here so I hope I am in the right section.

I have a 1978 GE gas powered welder, it has a 4 cylinder hercules motor. I have tried to find info on this welder and motor to no avail. Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

Thanks RCRivers
Parent - - By thedoctor (*) Date 07-23-2005 17:10
1978 is awful new for a GE. The Herc motor sounds about right for the age, though. What info do you need and are you sure it is a factory-built? A generator model number will be required.
Parent - - By RCRivers Date 07-23-2005 19:47
Thank you for your reply.

No, I am not sure if it is a factory build. The Dial Plate is so faded it is hard to see any of the dial settings or for that matter any of the writings at all. If you look from the side General Electric AC welder can be made out. The Model # plate is in the same shape, only the stamped letters and #s can be seen.

Model _______ 1G
Serial________ 138-ON
????? ________ GEH-1978

I am looking for a picture or info on the face plate details so I can re-place it or re-paint the #s and letters on it. Also motor info, rebuild kits, gaskets ect. The motor was for a hand crank but has the mount for a starter. Valves still move ect... as for the gen part. it looks in resonable good shape.. If you need any other info please let me know. And Thank you again.
RCRivers
Parent - - By thedoctor (*) Date 07-23-2005 20:39
What you got there is about a 1939 or 40 home-brew. The generator was originally run by a 3-phase electric motor. Look at the engine block for the engine series. It should be a JX-4, G1400 or G2000. At this point, I think you need to post a picture to see if we can match a faceplate to the generator end. Could well be military surplus converted.
OOPS, forgot to ask, is it flathead or overhead valve? Probly a flathead.
Parent - - By RCRivers Date 07-24-2005 22:50
Yes it is a flathead, ok I will see about getting a few pics made to post. Thank you Doctor for your help.
Parent - By thedoctor (*) Date 07-25-2005 15:31
OK, if the motor is a flathead, it is NOT a G series engine. Look on the block or the cylinder head for an X series casting number. Alternatively, you could pull the pan or the head and check the cylinder bore.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / General Electric Gas welder