Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Alloy Engine Block.
- - By jscott Date 08-02-2005 21:05
Hi all,
I`ve been asked to weld an alloy engine casing in situ. on a recent model(2004) porsche that has been damaged.The removable sump has the Alloy type AL-Si 9-Cu 3 marked on it ,but I suspect the engine block maybe a Magnesium alloy.The repair is very small about the 3/4" square. Has any one carried out any similar repairs ,if so what would be a suitable filler wire?

Parent - By chall (***) Date 08-02-2005 21:10
Unless someone can firmly identify the material, you should steer clear of this. If you want to do the job, get a small (nickel sized) sample of material, and for about $100 you can have the material identified.

Once you know the base metal, you will be in a much better position to do the repair.

My two cents.
Charles
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-04-2005 20:02
Guessing isn't the way to go about this as you know. I'm guessing as well when I say that I "think" you may be right about the block being magnesium. Old opposing VW 4's were and you had a really hot fire when they caught fire on the side of the road. Dizzy and fuel pump were mere inches apart=fire.
John Wright
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 08-04-2005 21:25
A not so precise means of identifying aluminum, magnesium and zinc die cast is to strike an arc on the metal with the GTAW process. If the arc is basically white it is aluminum, if the arc is green it is magnesium and if the arc is purple (violet?) it is zinc die cast. If it is zinc die cast use the alladin 3 in one wire from I believe Allstate. If it is magnesium and it doesn't have metal flakes, chips or powder it is safe to weld without danger of fire.
If you want to do something very stupid but it will make a very hot and bright beach lamp. Set a magnesium vw block on the sand and use a road flare to set it on fire. Bring your sunglasses because it is going to be bright!
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 08-05-2005 20:39
Using an acid like, lemon juice will identify if it is magnesium, wipe it on and wait about an hour if it turns black its magnesium. Magnesium will cause a heckofa FIRE, if you handle it wrongly.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Alloy Engine Block.