Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Passing a 3 in. pipe coupon tig test
- - By BC3 Date 08-04-2005 23:06
I have been a welder fabricator for 35 years mostly in the hot-rod industry (motorcycle frames, cutting and widening alum rims) Im 58
and just got the opertunity to go to work for a union shop that builds
stuff for submarines and other gov. stuff. I have a welding test scheduled for tomorrow at 7 am. It will consist of a 3in. carbon steel coupon and their asking for tig all the way out.....Normally a welding test
doesn't bother me much but in all the years I have been doing this stuff I have never had to pass a Pipe test....Im familiar with Walking the cup but never had to pass a test to get a job by doing this technique....should I worry? Or can I just walk in there and do my thing like normal..Most of my past employers consider me to be a very good tig welder but now Im kinda worried about tomorrow.....I had planned on using an 1/8 in. gap and two 1/2 in. tacks and then walking the cup with about 100 amps for the root weld 180 degrees one way and 180 the other side...how much more power do you use for the cap?and what filler rod sizes 060? 3/32?

Thanks BC
Parent - - By - Date 08-05-2005 00:47
BC3,
It's a little late to start worrying about it now. I appears that you already have a game plan for the test. If you know how to walk the cup, it won't matter whether it's a pipe test or plate test or whatever. Personally, the 3/32" diameter is fine for the root, although I like a 1/8" diameter rod for the whole weld and would not change my amps from the root even when weldiing the cap. Stick to what you feel comfortable with and do not start listening to a bunch of other suggestions, even though it is meant to be helpful, because it is a little late to change what is right for you. Remember, "Welding is 10% ability, and 90% desire." I'll bet you pass the test with flying colors. Keep us informed. Good luck...

Chuck

Chuck
Parent - By BC3 Date 08-05-2005 03:44
Well this being my first POST and all it makes me feel ALOT better
from your response........Thanks Bro, I'll let you guys know what the
test results are tomorrow......

BC
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 08-05-2005 12:16
Very optimistic chuck, good for you. And you may be right. I, however, am a little more pessimistic. Probably a fault of mine. He did not mention the position. If this will be 6G and he does not have experience with this, well good luck. Whether he is left or right handed won't really matter because he will have to be proficient with both on that 3" dia. pipe. 5G or 2G, I would agree with you.
Parent - By - Date 08-05-2005 12:27
Speaking form experience, I stand by what I said. After 35 years of experience, thats how much he said he has, I forsee no problem for him. After that many years experience and knowing how to walk the cup, he'll do just fine.

Chuck
Parent - - By BC3 Date 08-05-2005 12:28
I can use both hands equally.....just never welded pipe for a living.
Im just leaving for the test, we shall see what they really want...
A full blown pipe welder......or a fabricator...

BC
Parent - - By - Date 08-05-2005 12:32
You'll be just fine. Never think pessimistically. Optimistic is the way to go into it.
Parent - - By BC3 Date 08-05-2005 15:03
Well I just got home from my test.......The test went OK, was kinda
stressful since I never welded a pipe coupon before but the welds looked fine. Maybe a little hot on the cap but all in all I think they just wanted to see if I had the touch.....After all they have a way of doing
things that they want you to learn....(product line) which takes some time to learn.....The shop forman told me that my welds looked good and they weren't going to test the coupon anyway...just wanted to see me weld I guess? I can see room for improvement this is alot different
than what Im used to......but im open minded so now I just wait to hear from them...there was one other guy scheduled to come in and test...

BC
Parent - By - Date 08-05-2005 15:13
BC,
Congratulations!!!! I would never say, "I told you so", but I told you so. :-) Your desire, dedication and confidence precluded any lack of experience as far as pipe welding you haven't done. Good job...

Chuck
Parent - - By - Date 08-05-2005 15:16
BC,
Just one more thing...You stated that there is one more guy coming in so you're not sure if you got the job. Even if you don't get the job, think of the valuable confidence you've just gained in yourself. Again, congrats....

Chuck
Parent - - By BC3 Date 08-05-2005 16:38
Thanks Chuck, you da man....
BC
Parent - By BC3 Date 08-05-2005 19:58
Just talked with the guy over at the shop I tested for this morning,
he told me the second guy to come in didn't do that well with his test
and I asked him:"Does that mean I have the job?" He replied its looking pretty good for you......Sooooo I still won't hold my breath but.......
Im feeling good about my chances.....we'll see.

B.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Passing a 3 in. pipe coupon tig test