Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What Welding machine to buy
- - By cuchullainn Date 08-04-2005 23:48
I'm wanting to build a boat out of alluminum. I took an autobody course a while back and was using a mig welder. Im a bit rusty but want to get back into it. What kind would I need for building a boat. From scratch. I'll probally try buying it from Canadian Tire.

is this any good?
Lincoln MIG Pak 15 Wire Feed Welder
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2005 02:31

Hound of Ulster!

Building a boat is a pretty big project for a beginner. But, not impossible.

My advice is to delay for another 6 months on the boat and go back to your community college and take an open shop course and get some time with both aluminum GMAW and GTAW. Let the instructor know your plans and he may be able to set you up with a variety of equipment to try. This is the ultimate test drive and has saved a number of folks alot of money and headaches.

What sort of boat are you thinking about building. A little john boat or some sort of sea going craft?
Parent - - By cuchullainn Date 08-05-2005 20:02
A sea going boat. for travelling to other countries.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2005 20:16

Mig Pak 15 is way too wimpy to fabricate a sea going hull. A power source that can provide spray transfer of 3/64 wire is minimum.

I stick to my advice to get more training first.

Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 08-06-2005 02:07
The mig pak is a fine machine for an amature body shop. But for any real fabrication, forget it! I would say a 200 series mig with a spoolgun would fit the bill. I have a millermatic 210 with a spoolmate 3035 and recommend it highly.

Peace,
Parent - - By cuchullainn Date 08-06-2005 03:47
Thanks. Do you think if its a big boat I might want to try riveting? Also even though its riveted they still weld the edges right?
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-06-2005 06:35
The classic way of making a watertight riveted joint was to first rivet it. Then using a hammer and a tool that looks like a cold chisel with the end ground flat you would work the exposed edge to upset it against the other piece (called calking). This sealed the joint. Leaks at rivets could be fixed by calking the edge of the rivet head. All in all a lot of work.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What Welding machine to buy