Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Union vs Non-Union in the south
- - By drake (*) Date 06-27-2005 02:26
Greetings all,

Im starting school to learn the profession and was curious as to if there are any welding unions here in the south, south carolina specificily and if so what might be the pro's and con's to union or non

Looking for info any would help

Thanks
~Drake
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-27-2005 13:09
There are no welders unions anywhere in the country. All welders are in support of other craft; pipefitters, boilermakers, machinists, carpenters, etc., There are good and bad things to be said both ways with regard to union vs. non-union, it all depends on who is answering the question. I've been on both sides and my personal preference is non-union although I have to admit, for a young person just starting out unions provide some valuable training.
Parent - By - Date 06-27-2005 13:41
Drake,
I agree fully with Jon. Depending on who you talk to, and their personal preference, you will get a varied answer. Also like Jon said, the unions have a great training program called apprentice schools. Some will point out that you will pay dues to belong to the union, and that is true, but anything worth having is worth paying for. Also, in the union you will have full benefits such as insurance, retirement and the options of 401K plans in a lot of your unions. Good and bad can be said about both, so choose what you feel is right for you and stick to your guns.

Chuck
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-27-2005 16:17
I have worked both in the southeas as a boilermaker. There are differences I opserved in both work ethics and levels of training. The availability of work for Non-union is greater it seems however the compensation and benefits are better in the union. The

The apprentice training program is great in the union. Some non union contractors also offer some training. As said before, its a matter of preference. I have respect for anyone in the trade that puts in an honest days work regardless of affiliation.

If you are young, I'd suggest the union becaause of the long term benefits. The insurance and retirement are unmatched. The representation and organization within the union is also helpful in most cases. It is a system you must adapt to if you have worked non-union. Some people can, some can't.

As long as the labor unions exist, I think the non-union trades will reap some of the benefits.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi
Parent - - By pipeman1973 (*) Date 07-01-2005 11:44
What part of South Carolina are you intending on working in. I run a Fab shop in Columbia and were always needing good help wether it be veteran or newbie. We do alot of in house training for our welders and fitters.
Parent - - By drake (*) Date 07-01-2005 21:37
pipeman,

Thanks for the offer but unfortunatly I live in Greenville so Cola is a little bit of a commute for me but if you would know anyone in Greenville that might be looking for inexperanced help who wants to learn and about to start class please let me know

Thank you
~Drake
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 07-02-2005 06:00
Drake,
Look in to Fluor. They are always looking for people and Greeville is where their main office is. They have great training programs. I went through their Pipefitter school. Some of the best Stainless welders I have ever worked with were on Fluor jobs.
Jim
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 07-13-2005 20:43

One word of interest before you contact Flour. You need to be able to weld before you apply. Either a graduate of a vocational school or technical school or have some working background. You'll need to contact them for first hand info. Jack Wilson is the main man in charge at the Flour weldor training school. Last that I heard it will cost you somewhere around $30.00 per week for four ten hour days at the school. I'm sure tuition has gone up just like everything else. You sign a contract stating that you will work for Flour for 90 days upon graduation. The school is located at the Brashier campus of Greenville Technical college. Call Jack at 864-228-5055. I don't know the name of the present Flour instructor, but Darrien and Chris are welding instructors there and they are some of the best. If you visit the school ask Jack if he can get anything other than the war time help that works there. Be sure to tell him that the instructor from Blue Ridge Community College wants to know.

South Carolina is a "Right to Work" state. It is near impossible to get a union started here. However, there are several union shops in this area and all over the state. BF Shaw is a large union pipe shop in Laurens. Reduction of workforce is a constant worry.

General Electric Gas Turbine Division right here in Greenville has huge benefits and starting pay is around $20.00/$25.00 hour. In 2003 starting pay was $19.80/hour and it's non union. There have been layoffs, but very few. I've got an army of former students that work there.

Hope something in this helps.

Parent - - By drake (*) Date 07-14-2005 20:08
Thanks,

Im actualy enrolled in the greenville tech welding certificate program that Jack is the department head of and met Darrien today, My classes start Aug 17th so I am quite happy about that, also just got my AWS Student membership as well.

Hopefully being in the Greenville Tech classes with Jack already might be a bit of help for me

Thanks for the info
~Drake
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-14-2005 21:27
Have you contacted South Carolina Steel in Greenville? 864-244-2860. Ask for Billy Grumbles or Charlie Bell. Or, Tate Steel in Piedmont, 864-845-3373. These are two structural steel fabricators.
Parent - By drake (*) Date 08-07-2005 11:56
pipeman1973,

If you can please email me at drakedawson@gmail.com I would like to speak with you if possable, nothing major just to touch base

thanks
~Jeff
aka Drake
Parent - By realcontender Date 03-12-2006 16:50
where is columbia in relation to loris ? i will be moving down there in about 2 months and looking for work. travel is not a big deal. what are the hourly wage's like for a welder in S.C.? AND S.C. being a right to work i'm sure the union r scarce. the looking for a union shop is prob. not that easy, correct ? any info grateful..u can also email me at realcontender@aol.com

THANKS HAROLD
Parent - - By darksideforge Date 03-23-2007 09:14
Pipeman, I just opened a very small fab shop in Camden and would be interested in talking to you. This is a case of indulging in my passion after 18 years of military/federal service doing something entirely different.  Right now I'm doing a bunch of work repairing Ag/Construction equipment, aluminum horse trailer repair (more horses than people in Camden), and a little bit of wrought iron for friends and family.  Any suggestions on markets to target for fab work?  I just finished a 30-trailer contract for a local business and would like to do more of this type of work. I suppose this should be a seperate topic.  Also, I'm an AWS member and am considering tithing to the Teamsters in Cola (Cayce) just to contribute to the industry...any suggestions?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-23-2007 12:21
I'd tell ya to look into getting into a union.  There is going to be a great demand for welders in the near future and if you can weld you may have a real good chance of getting into one and starting out at a higher apprentice level.  If your going to do this the rest of your life union will be better.  You have much better working conditions being in a union so you will make it to retirement age without to many problems.  This depends however on where you will be working and how bad they have let there conditions fall to the wayside to keep up with the non-union contractors. UA pipefitters are really looking for welders right now due to all the Ethanol, biodiesel and other new construction.  Being a welder here in the near future is going to be a very valuable asset!
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 03-23-2007 12:26
go online and look for labor organizations by state. Go to the UA web site, and the Boilermakers web site for information on apprenticeship.
Andy
Parent - - By RabidRobert Date 04-22-2007 03:38
My 2 cents. I came of working age in a part of the country (Northeast Texas) where the only time you heard the word "Union" was when the contractor or company told you during your orientation that they would close shop or lock the gates if anyone dared to try & organize. So my 1st 18 years in the trade was non-union. I made some good money most years, had bad luck others. Found myself having to travel farther away from home for less money, or at least less hours. Benifits were nonexistent. Some offered health insurance, but only after you had mebbe 2 CONTINUOUS years with the company, and even then deductibles were like $1500 per person! Now that I have gone Union, I still find myself traveling a lot, but at least I have benifits that were & for the most part are unheard of in non_union. However, I now find myself needing to "Catch Up" with the retirement part of it, meaning, had I joined the union when I was 20 instead of 37, I would damn near be able to retire right now! As it is now, I need to make the credit hours in every year, (in the U A, at this time, it's 1500 yearly) so when there is no work close to Dallas that is working overtime, I GOTTA go on the road. It's not that I mind that, but I aint no youngster no more! So My point is this: If you are gonna be a welder & you are young, go union! You will not regret it. Check into The United Association, BoilerMakers, Ironworkers. If nothing else, you will, as many have already said, you will recieve some fantastic training opportunities!
Good Luck!
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 04-22-2007 19:59
Read a good story in Welding Journal about a company called Carolina Energy Solutions. Sounds like a great place for a young guy to head off to and get some great instruction and experience. Much better than most of your local community colleges I would think. No offence to anyone. Just my two cents I don't know how close they are to you but it sounds like going there would be worth moving! You can search for their web site on the internet and they have some contact info.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Union vs Non-Union in the south