Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which rod is best?
- - By clayskarovsky Date 08-02-2005 18:42
I am in the middle of narrowing a rear end housing and would like some advice on which rod to use. I will be arc welding together 3” diameter steel tubes with one being approximately 3/8” wall thickness and the other being approximately ¼” wall thickness. I will have someone turning the housing while I’m welding so the welding will hopefully be horizontal.

I am thinking of using an 1/8” 6013 rod and making a root pass and one or two more passes to fill the bevel. I like the 6013 because the slag chips off so easy and will be easy to clean before the second/third passes and because the rods weld so easy. My second choice is an 1/8” 6011 because I have some already and have the most experience with them. Any thoughts on my choice(s) of rods for this situation?

Thanks in advance,
Clay
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-02-2005 19:57
Clay,
I have a question or two to add to your post.
(1) Are you welding on a rear with mild steel axle tubes and a cast iron center (carrier) housing?(ie. 12/10 bolt Chevrolet)

(2) If so, are you planning to weld the axle tubes to the housing to keep the centersection from rotating upward under hard excelleration with slicks?

John Wright
Parent - By clayskarovsky Date 08-02-2005 21:43
More info: Everything I am welding is mild steel. I am building a Dana 60 for a car which involves cutting the ends off a Dana 60 housing and welding car ends onto it. The car ends I am welding on are about 1.5" long so the rest of the tube is stock Dana 60. I don't know for sure what material the tube is but they are mild steel (thick wall tubing I think) and commonly MIG welded or arc welded with plain welding rods (6011's, 7014's, etc.).

I am not touching the cast iron center section so I'm not welding on anything out of the ordinary. I believe all rear end housings have the ends welded on from the factory.

Thanks,
Clay
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-05-2005 18:21
My advice is to use E6010/11 for the first (root) pass because it has good penetration, and E6012/13 for the subsequent ones, or at least the last (cover) pass.
The advantage of E6012/13 over the 6010/11, apart from the one you mention (the slag is easy to remove), is that they have a good looking finishing, contrary to E6010/11, whose finishing isn't that good looking.
This is an important feature when the welding will be seen by the people, as in your case.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By REG388 Date 08-10-2005 12:13
You must have an AC welder- I would agree use the 6011 for the root pass and then use the 7014 you have for your hot pass. 6013 is not made for penetrating its more of medium penetration rod. I use 6013 on a lot on sheet metal and hay equipment where burn threw is a concern. Not to say you can't use it on plate you can, 6013 was developed for the ship building industry (plate steel). If you make a good weld the slag nominally comes off easily on most rods any way.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which rod is best?