Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Traits of a good welder.
- - By drake (*) Date 08-05-2005 10:50
Here is something to start up the weekend conversations. Since I have never struck an arc in my life but trying to understand the theory and metalurgical aspects of welding before I start classes to get my feet wet Id like to ask all the pros out there just a general question as to the human aspect.

I've been wondering what the pro's consider the traits of a good welder, be it willingness to learn or laying a good bead or maybe understanding the science behind it all.

Also in your opinions what makes the difference between a good welder that can go out and make a living using their skill as opposed to just another "rod burner"

I wish you all the best
~Jeff
aka Drake
Parent - - By - Date 08-05-2005 11:11
Jeff,
Having taught welding at a major University back in the 80's, let me say that the main trait of a good welder is "desire". No matter how much knowledge you have, how much you know about metallurgy, or how much theory you understand, if you do not have the desire to be a good welder, you might as well go into another trade. If I had to choose one word that will describe the difference in a good welder and just another rod burner, it would be desire.

Chuck
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 08-05-2005 11:59
I agree, desire is the most important. What seperates the welders that have desire from one another is their ability to troubleshoot, which comes from the other areas you have mentioned.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-05-2005 12:39
Jeff; being from "the old school" i.e., where people took pride in their workmanship, you should know that welding is a highly skilled trade and each craftsperson is not unlike an artist. A good weld will likely live longer than the artist who made it and a true welder can pick his or her work out from others. In my opinion, a good welder always strives for excellence; trying to make the next bead better than the last bead, they do this because they recognize (even when others may not) that they are artists and take tremendous pride in their ability to be masters of a highly skilled craft. Secondly, a "true" welder must know that he or she is on an unending learning journey; no one knows everything there is about welding, there is just too much to know but we must always strive to know as much as we can. Finally, desire as Chuck says, will make you succeed in this field.
Parent - - By - Date 08-05-2005 12:52
Jon,
Very well said.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-05-2005 12:54
Thanks Chuck! Coming from you, that certainly brightened my Friday! :)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2005 14:16

It's a good question. Being an educator, one I think about and try to communicate often.

I think over time, (years) desire, to be the best, to learn new things, to make a good living, evolves into a mature craftsmans paradigm.

I can honestly claim mastery in only a very few areas in my trade, and even in those areas there are pros who are far beyond my depth, but I'll tell you what; I love to get up in the morning and go to work. I love the people I work with and they know it.

After thinking about this one for a while, the real barometer of desire for me was that the last 3 jobs I accepted included significant reductions on the salary scale. If you can meet your $ commitments and find joy in the work, than you know your in the right place and don't mind working the ladder back up again.

Pride or satisfaction? I think satisfaction. Ozymandias, (Sennacherib in the Bible) said; "Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" We have all know a few guys like that eh? Heck I've been that guy. Just remember; those old, proud, crusty guys can be coaxed into sharing with a couple of doughnuts and a cup of black coffee........ Satisfaction can be walking away from a completed building or bridge, watching the jet you fixed get to the gate on time or better yet running into some young apprentice you helped get a job.

Good welders vs. rod burners? Alot of students that run through my program may for various reasons never aquire (or be able to aquire) the skills to be judged outstanding, but they can be a valuable blessing to there employers as "rod burners" by showing up on time and putting in honest work every day, which is a very noble (and successful) thing in my opinion. We all have our roles eh? The other guys were wonderfully descriptive about what makes a good welder.

I could go on and on, but I have to prepare for 18 new students comming in a week and a half, a new textbook to unravel, and 4 new Axcess power sources that I can't restrain myself from running trials on even though its summer and i'm working for free!

Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-05-2005 14:25
I agree too with Lawrence. There are those who may never be capable of developing the skills required to be an "artist" but will return to my point that even those considered "rodburners" by others can find personal satisfaction by striving for continuous improvement of their skills and knowledge.

It takes a very special person in today's world to WANT to be a career tradesperson; so many wish nothing but desk work or "easy" jobs, yet the skilled tradesperson is the very backbone of America, without the skilled tradesperson, America would be just another third world country.

I personally salute you, Jeff in your decision! It's people like you that make America great!
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 08-05-2005 14:29
FOUR new axcess'? Congrats! I remember you said you were looking into it. Very friendly budget. How do I apply. Do you also have 6-7 areowaves?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2005 19:11
jarsanb

Hah!

If I had six or seven Aerowaves I would have to dedicate an entire semester to Asymmetric power sources.... I have one Aerowave and that is quite enough. Awsome piece of equipment that 1% of the welding world really needs, .........But if you like knobs and dials :) besides, something even better is cooking in the BLUE laboratories, but I've said too much already :) We additinally got 3 Synchrowave 250s which I stand behind as the most durable equipment for the money in the world. Good, tough, simple to train on, and a darned fine SMAW power source to boot. But the bottom line is for the money you can have 1 Aerowave, 2 Dnyasties or 3 Synchrowaves. My 3 new Synchrowaves replaced 3 Goldstars, a machine that is likely older than most forum readers.

If my descriptions make it sound like we have all new equipment than shame on me. We have old sine wave Aircrafters and Dial-Arcs (Late 70s) for SMAW, GTAW. We have Maxtrons and Arc-Paks (early 80s) and a few CV Millers even older. For the most part I'm ok with that as it gives a broad representation of what entery level workers will find in my neck of the woods and the students leave with the ability to set up CC/CV, Inverters and Multi-lug slope adjustable power sources. Our Board's generous investment was much needed. Wait till I start in earnest to ask for test equipment :)

The Axess? Best open root short circuit machine I've run, and I haven't even tried the RMD yet. Had a wedding band backside of 3/16 plain carbon on the second pass. The adaptive pulse spray is extra nifty too, Trials pushing 3/64 5356 through a stock gun have been so nice I might try 4043.

I was originally looking at 1 Axcess and 3 XMT's. XMT is nicely versitile but is two generations behind Axcess in Pulse/RMD tech. But an XMT with duel D64M feeders costs about the same as Axcess...So I took the plunge. Those Duel D64Ms cost more than the XMT power source!

Now for more juicy wire feeder news... The boys from Appleton did a little trade show with there mobil trailer a month ago and brought the new 74M feeder... what a beauty! Totally redesigned, new roller style and new mechanicals that will make running aluminum through a stock gun commonplace, you virtually cannot bird nest the thing.. Its that good.
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 08-10-2005 14:02
Lawrence,
Funny. You sound as sick as I am. I to take every advantage to demo the latest and greatest. The guys in Appleton probably have a "wanted dead or alive" poster of me hanging somewhere. When I first got my hands on the Aerowave (about 6 years ago, I think) I felt like I had gone to heaven. And you're right, the Axcess gives you that YES!! feeling. I've been told that they are trying to mimic that in an engine drive as well...not sure it's possible.

Anyway, you are what this post is talking about. Energy, Enthusiasm, Love for the trade. I also teach, though not my primary function, and I had a welder tell me, "I used to think welding was a blue-collar job."
Parent - - By - Date 08-05-2005 14:54
Lawrence,
I think desire is the greatest attribute in a successful welding career, but dedication is right there, too. I compliment you on your dedication in your career, both religious and personal. I cerainly do not want, or intend to, turn this subject into a religious forum, but I believe that without our religious beliefs we are but a shell of the person God intended us to be. I think the Bible addresses this subject in the fact that it teaches us to desire to be our best and be dedicated in our beliefs. This goes hand-in-hand with our work career. Applying both will benefit us career-wise. Anyway, Lawrence, I agree with your comments and compliment you on sharing them with us. Thanks...

Chuk
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-05-2005 16:51
Anybody can be a rod burner, but to me, a good welder knows and always performs within the parameters of codes he/she is welding to. If a welder does this, the quality and workmanship are built in. Oh yes, and they MUST clean their welds.
Parent - - By drake (*) Date 08-06-2005 06:00
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and wonderful ideas, I have alot to think about.

I look at it at the moment as, "What can I do, How can I get there". What I mean by that is I know the schooling is important and will give me a great foothold but there is so much more to learn than what can be taught in a year.

Id love to be able to travel the country with my (soon-to-be) wife working on structual work, watching buildings and other fixtures go up as I work on them. To be able to pass that building years later with my family and friends and be able to say "I helped put that in the sky".

Just thinking about it, the fact that I, a simple guy from the south can have such power to be able to melt metal and put it together and hold a building up with little more than a thin piece of wire/stick.

It is such a self-fulfilling thing to just be able to think that one day I might can say that, to know that I helped put this huge monolith up. Welding at its most basic concept, building... be it a office, a car, a pipeline, a refinery or even putting a quick bead down when a crack forms on a childs wagon. We men and women have the power to create something that will stand probably long after we are gone from this work.

Its all a matter of finding the right steps to launch my career, to see all I can, learn anything I can and be a part of American history by leaving my weld somewhere on this land.

We all can destroy but it takes special people like welders to create something that will stand for near eternity.

I appologize for being long winded and kinda waxing poetic but just trying to put things into words for myself as well

Hope you all have a great weekend.

~Jeff
aka Drake
Parent - - By REG388 Date 08-10-2005 13:33
A great welder is someone who can drop a hot spark down his or(her) shirt feels it burning all the way down and continues to weld because they don't want to lose the puddle.
Parent - - By techwelder Date 08-11-2005 13:17
That's it. The perfect description for defining the difference between a Welder and a rod burner.
Parent - By toby6060 Date 08-14-2005 02:37
You soon learn it only burns for a little while
Parent - By michelle (*) Date 08-15-2005 21:12
Thats right on the money!! I don't think I could consider myself a welder if I hadn't burn some hair along the way :) A good welder comes from all backgrounds and walks of life, but its the passion and drive that makes a truly good welder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Traits of a good welder.