Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Work in the USA
- - By Tam F1 (*) Date 08-08-2005 18:52
Hi guys this is my first time on this site! I am a UK welder plater and looking to for work in the Texas area can any you guys provide me with a few contacts I would much appreciate preferably within the oil construction industry! Its a bit of a love story actually but I'll tell you that later ha ha!

Regards Tam F1
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-10-2005 17:57
Hey Tam F1, my wife has gone through the immigration process here in the USA and I can tell you first hand it is not quite as simple as just finding an employer. You will first have to find an employer who wishes to sponsor you in your immigration process or have some other plans for being able to obtain an American work authorization. Most employers are unwilling to provide sponsorship except to their senior staff. Using a very, very good attorney, it took us about 8 months before my wife was finally authorized to legally work in the USA. Do you have plans to marry your Texas sweetheart? You may be able to enter on a visitation visa but I would strongly suggest you find an attorney before doing so and then meet with that attorney immediately upon entry. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but immigration is very difficult at it's best, let me know if you need more specifics, I will try to help. In any case, be mentally and finacially prepared for a long, drawn out and frustrating process!
Parent - - By Tam F1 (*) Date 08-10-2005 21:20
Well I think this Texan girl is worth it so if I don't try you never know! and I,m gonna tell you the story later CM and Yall!

Regards Tam F1

Parent - - By - Date 08-10-2005 21:28
Tam,
I guarantee you that she is worth it if she's from Texas. :-)
As I said before we disappeared in cyberspace, you can check job opportunities via e-mail in Galveston by having your girlfriend send you the Galveston paper's web site and check the employment section. Jon made very excellent points about visa's and other things before coming to the USA. As I also stated, I was born and raised in Galveston and the welding opportunities are limited to mostly ship building jobs. Most of the fabricating jobs and refineries are across the water in Texas City.

Chuck (or CM)
Parent - - By Tam F1 (*) Date 08-10-2005 22:16
I am working on the refineries in the uk just now with Motherwell Bridge tankage remediation project innoven BP salary about $90,000 per annum what can you expect in the same line of work in the states!
Parent - - By - Date 08-10-2005 23:27
Tam,
This is exactly why you will need to be in the States to interview in person. The pay will depend on your qualifications, any welding certifications, the amount of hours you work per week, etc. If you make $90,000 per year, I would suggest you send for your girlfriend and have her move to the UK. Why would you even consider leaving a $90,000 a year job? I seriously doubt that you will make that in our refineries working as a "plater".

CM
Parent - By Tam F1 (*) Date 08-11-2005 22:05
I AM MAINLY EMPLOYED AS A WELDER ON THE TANK BASHING JUST NOW TO HELP GET THE OIL OUT OF IRAQ. GEORGE HAS BEEN GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY. TALKING TO MY TEXAN GIRL RIGHT NOW SHE SAYS HI TO YALL!

REGARDS TAM F1
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 08-10-2005 19:55
There were some pretty informative answers before the disapeared in cyberspace.

I'm thinking a "plater" cuts and fits up and tacks an assymbly, to be welded by others? Is that correct?
And, pipe? or structural? or both?

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Tam F1 (*) Date 08-10-2005 20:29
Thats right JTMcCracken got it in one! where did the rest of the posts got I was in needing to thank you guys! Good to see your still posting on the uk welder mate!

Tam F1

Do any of you guys know of a foreman who worked for Global Marine now Global Santafe called Vance Tonni my mate worked with him in Galveston about 5 years ago his name is Alec Thor? if you know him tell him Alec was asking for him think his wife was polish well he looked after our boys out there!
Parent - - By - Date 08-10-2005 21:38
Tam,
Go to www.galvnews.com to get to the newspaper in Galveston. Go to the want ads and look under "Crafts and Trades." The Houston paper is going to have more welding opportunities in it than the Galveston paper. Try www.houstonchromicle.com and go to the want ads and go to the welding section. There will be more opportunities there. Let me tell you, though, it is going to be hard to get a job or even an interview unless you are here in person. If you decide to come here, Welcome to Texas!!!

Chuck
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 08-11-2005 22:10

Tam,

Hope you keep in touch with Ukwelder mate!

Regards

Parent - - By Tam F1 (*) Date 08-14-2005 22:24
Indeed I will keep in touch with the uk welder brilliant crack rodofgod! and these American welders have been a good help! Cant wait to be there foreman HA HA! Still feel yall being a bit cagey with the job info apart from a few its a good job my sweet pea is an intelligent Texan girl brains and beauty! Or yall still waiting on a story Ha Ha

Regards Tam F1
Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 08-15-2005 23:31
Hi All!

Tam, these "American" welders are in for a BIG shock when you reach they're shores', I'm sure!

Keep the stories on short measure till you get what you want out of them mate! and all the best!

Best Regards

Parent - By Tam F1 (*) Date 08-31-2005 21:58
Well thats me guys coming to see you all on 10th September in Houston look forward to a few beers ha ha
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Work in the USA