Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Galvanizing vs.Weld-through Primer
- - By Debasis Mitra Date 08-13-2005 12:06
I have some contradiction here...
For a galvanized item, to avoid Zinc Penetration Cracking & Embrittlement problems in welds , weld edge and adjacent portions are removed ( skinned out ) from galvanizing by burning & dressing the Zinc out.
But the concept of "Weld-through Primers" where these zinc rich primers are applied at the weld areas prior to welding and the same says to protect the weld surface . These 2 are contradicting each other.
Please discuss this issue to make it clear. regards
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-15-2005 21:02
Removing the galvanized coating by burning will produce yellow fumes of zinc oxyde that are poisonous. It's better to remove them by means of a grinding wheel, very carefully of course, so as not to remove, or remove as little as possible, the base metal.
The weld must be done before you apply the zinc rich primer, also called "cold galvanizing".
That's how I did back in my days of erector engineer.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-15-2005 22:41
A lot of paint suppliers advertise that their product is weldable, but we never weld over any primers. We always remove the coating.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2005 03:05
A client asked me to weld several hot dipped gavanized plates to show an engineer that there were no problems associated with welding through galvanized coatings. I welded several samples using E6010 and several others with E7018 without removing the hot dip galvanize. Each sample was then cut, polished, and etched with acid. Each macroetched sample had what appeared to be zinc along the grain boundaries in the weld adjacent to the toes of the fillet weld. Some of the samples were then fractured. In each case, the galvanized samples appeared to be more "brittle" when compared to samples that were welded without hot dip galvanize coatings.

I wouldn't say the samples were welded and tested "scientifically", but it did show my client that it was well worth the effort to remove the galvanize coating before welding.

Zinc oxide fumes are generated if the welder welds through the zinc coating or if the coating is "burned off" using a torch. The fumes can result in metal fume fever, i.e., a fever, with chills and sore aching joints,if a respirator is not used.

I hope this helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Galvanizing vs.Weld-through Primer