Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Eye damage?
- - By Jay76 Date 08-25-2005 23:49
I was using a welder (the kind that plugs into a standard edison outlet) and failed to use eye protection. The helmet I used was the kind that automatically darkened, but it was not on for it to properly work. Thus, how much exposure can cause eye damage? What should I pay attention to? Any any other things I should be aware of.

I've searched for these answers on the web, but have not found a good resource for such information. Thanks for any help.

-Jay
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-26-2005 01:46

Not enough data for an answer with authority.

*most* auto darkening hoods are shaded about #4 when they are in the off position. That plus the UV protection afforded on any shade probably means that nothing was permanantly injured.

If after 8 hours you don't feel that burning sand sensation in your eyes you can be pretty sure you have no UV or infrared damage.

You may see some spots for a few hours but thats doubtful with a 110 machine..

Nonetheless....... Bad move on your part.... As soon as you recognize your auto dark hood is not functioning properly, STOP. Nothing....... no job or project is worth taking any kind of risk with your vision... Eyes come one pair per customer...

PS: Always wear Z87.1 rated safety glasses under your welding hood. Even solid wire Mig presents a serious threat during post weld inspection. Plus those safety glasses add extra UV protection.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-26-2005 13:12
That night you must have had the impression that your eyes were full of sand. It lasts one day and then goes out. Nothing to worry about.
Be more careful next time.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Eye damage?