Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hard surfacing question.
- - By harleyhitman (**) Date 03-11-2005 23:26
I have a customer who was in need of something to make His hammers last longer in a attapulgite hammer mill, He was just using mild steel hammers and He was replacing them every 7 days. I sold Him some of my Cronatron 7355 Hard surfacing electrodes, which He put on 5 hammers, He used someone else's product on 5 more and ran the other 10 like He always did. They all wore out in 7 days ! I told Him the only way to get a true test would to be run all the Hammers in my product and track the time they last, then do the same with the other products. My thinking is that as the hammers wear, the ones in better shape are doing all the work. So as the mild steel ones wore out quickly, it caused the others to work twice as hard and this caused them all to wear out within a week. He pretty much said I was stupid and had no idea of how stuff worked in Hammermills.

What do you think ?
Parent - By Arcandflash (**) Date 03-12-2005 01:42
I always thought the hammers were hardened not mild-steel and if so then adding hard-surface isn't going to make much difference.

Regarding your suggestion, I don't think it was stupid and would give a more controlled test although I would have thought it differences did exist they at least would have been noticeable in the test that was done.
Parent - - By Sand Man (**) Date 03-12-2005 04:04
This is the first I have heard of anyone using mild steel hammers instead of manganese. I would recommend he try Lincore 60-0. It will work on mild steel or manganese.
Hope this helps, Jeff
Parent - - By harleyhitman (**) Date 03-12-2005 19:18
All of his hammers are just mild steel. We have plenty of hard surfacing products to try, but according to my tech guys we can't get a acurate test without running each type of product on each hammer and recording the time, you can't mix and match the different products.
I had recommended that they "butter" the surface with a pass of our product and then add another pass on the leading edge.
Parent - By Dr. D (*) Date 08-29-2005 06:06
It'll all wear.
I am doing something similar, rebuilding impact crusher hammers for a guy every week. That's just the way it is. They wear down every week. I build them up with Forney 600 (a wear resistent build up rod) then hard face them. I have used several products for the hard facing, Ranite D, Stoody 31, Harder-n-helle, Lincoln wearshield 60 which I believe is the same as Lincore 60. These rods have a Rockwell hardness of 60-63(except the Stoody31, about 50RC). It just don't friggen matter, they all wear the same. He actually only runs the machine for 3 days a week then tears down to build up the hammers. These are mang. type hammers at that. I think the only thing that would help to see a noticeable difference in wear would be to use tungsten carbide type hard face material. We are going to try this process soon.
I couldn't imagine the wear involved on something that is mild steel after seeing what it does to these mang. hammers after only 3 days.
Good luck with it.

Dr. D
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hard surfacing question.