Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plas/Laser cutting 4130N
- - By MattR Date 08-31-2005 01:26
Hey guys. I'm almost ready to have a bunch of 1/8" and 3/16" 4130N plate cut, and am not sure if there's anything I need to know first. My prefered cutting processes for these parts are laser and plasma. Will there be a non-standard gas required? I'm looking to get a (TIG)weldable as-cut surface. If that's not possible, I'd like to keep the weld prep down to a minimum.

Thanks in advance!

Parent - - By awill4wd (**) Date 08-31-2005 09:29
We use a number of laser cut 4130 components in the motorsport industry here in Australia. I have found that for best results a quick linish of the cut surface is required. Also if any holes are laser cut make sure you have enough clearance for any bolts to go through because if you need to drill the hole out any further it murders the cutting edges on drills.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By MattR Date 09-01-2005 17:26
Thanks guys! It sounds like no matter what I'll have atleast a little bit of weld prep to do. No biggie, but I do want to keep it down to a minimum.

I would still like to know what gas is needed (if other than shop air) for plasma. The reason is that the shop that would cut the parts if I choose plasma, is not exactly keeping up with technology, so I'd like to make sure they use the correct gas. Beyond that, they're great.

Bill, I do have access to a water jet, just checking out options at this point. I am alittle concerned with rust as the parts will be shipped.

(Edit: Pushed the wrong "Reply" button, sorry guys.)
Parent - By Bill Mc (**) Date 09-01-2005 16:49
Have you checked into waterjet cutting?

That thickness will have a nice clean cut edge
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plas/Laser cutting 4130N