Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Questions about the miller CST-280
- - By sillbeer Date 09-12-2005 00:05
I did a search and didn't come up with anything on this welder here. I recently bought this unit and am not real sure what to expect.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/stick/cst-280/

I have never welded in my life but plan on enrolling in a local welding program at a community college here in Phoenix. The unit didn't come with any accessories. I was planning on buying the miller contractor kit and noticed there where a couple options. One unit came with a hand controll and another with a foot control. Which is more desirable
and user friendly? Thanks.

-Destin
Parent - - By Mike Brace (**) Date 09-13-2005 13:08
Destin: The CST280 is and excellent machine for stick or tig welding. In the stick mode it has soft and stiff setting for 6011 and 7018. This allows adjusting the drive of the electrode in a way that cannot be done by adjusting amperage alone. The lift arc in the tig mode works very well. Just touch the tungsten down and roll your wrist up and the arc will follow. All in all it is a great machine. I have welded a lot with one.
Parent - - By sillbeer Date 09-14-2005 19:44
Thanks for the reply. I got the welder in today and the power plug wasn't what I thought it was. I thought it would be a standard 220v plug. It has 4 prongs on it. I searched for a couple hours through google images and didn't come up with anything. Is there an adapter plug I can buy for this to use a standard 220v recepticle?

-Destin
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 09-15-2005 13:47
The owner's manual shows that the RED Wire is taped off if used on single phase input. The Black and White wire is connected to the 208/240 voltage and the yellow/green wire is earth ground
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Questions about the miller CST-280