Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Info on Airco Welders
- - By DaveHath Date 09-17-2005 03:46
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find information on airco welders. I recently picked one up for $200. It is a Dip/Stick 160 it has markings for DC-,DC+ and AC stick and tig it also has a built in wire feeder and works fine as a mig but that is as far as I tested it. I bought it to use as a stick machine,(mainly for practice) I would like to know more about this machines performance doing DC and AC tig. My concern is I don't see any HF controls. Any Info would be great.
Thanks
Dave
Parent - By JINX (*) Date 09-19-2005 19:41
Dave,
About 30+ years ago Miller Electric was manufacturing welding machines for Airco. Perhap you may have one of those units. Contact Miller's help line with the model number of the unit, and they will have the service manuals if it is one of their units.
Regards, Jinx
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 09-20-2005 00:38
I believe the machine may be a cousin to the miller shopmaster, if so it is a very nice machine and durable. Check it out it may be the animal.

pjs
Parent - By DaveHath Date 09-20-2005 01:19
Thanks, guys
Parent - By brande (***) Date 09-24-2005 06:11
The Dipstick is long after the Miller/Airco clones.

Info on the dipstick would probably be available from ESAB.

In any case, machines are machines.
Brande
Parent - - By Leon Date 10-08-2005 15:03
Hi,Dave
I also bought an Airco dip-stick 160 several years ago to use in a farm shop. Mine came with an external box for the HF. I connected a gas bottle to it and have primarily used it as a mig machine. I have burned a few sticks dc with good results...a lot better than my old lincoln ac cracker box. It has performed well until now; the transformer seems to be going out...the transformer is loading & heating up when the machine is turned on in any of its welding modes.
The Airco Hf box is 15 x 15 x 6 inches; it has 4 heavy duty terminals for connecting welding cables on the front. It also has knobs for controlling the hf.
Leon
Parent - By dfonte Date 03-27-2006 00:25
I also have a Dipstick 160 and wanted to know if anyone had idea what is need to get it do tigging? I assume HF (newbie) is high fquency modulator for the tig torch. Any help would b great.

Thanks,
Dennis
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Info on Airco Welders