Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
- - By DavidS Date 09-14-2005 01:15
Im currently in the market for a auto darkening helmet and i was wondering what’s a good brand/model. Also what features should i be looking for?
Parent - By metalfab (*) Date 09-18-2005 00:23
You need the best headgear you can afford, stretch your budget if you can. Without eyes, you can't weld. I ended up getting the Miller Big Window Elite. $380.00 Canadian (tax included). Great helmet. Consider weight an issue as clunky, cheap helmets might weigh more causing unnessesary neck strain. For eg. the BWE is 18 oz. not noticable and I weld aluminum 8-10 hrs a day. Also consider air filters if you are in a poorly ventilated area, etc, will they fit under your helmet?

Take care and good luck.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-18-2005 11:34
Also, take a look at the Optrel Sattelite ($300.23 Ca.plus tax and shipping on E-bay.) Has most features I would want.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 09-18-2005 18:11
I've done some testing of the major players, and my first three are, Miller big window elite, Optrel satalite, and Hornel speedglas. Each has a specific feature that is better on certain things, The speedglas is the lightest and most flexible shell, The Big window has 4 sensors so in out of position work your chances of being flashed is nearly zero, The satalite has a one touch grind feature that is really nice.

I have a degenerating disc in my neck and the light weight hood is truely easier on the neck, so the speedglas is my first choice, your needs may require a different choice.

pjs
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet