Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / beards
- - By edrews Date 10-07-2005 14:56
When I designed our welding program I thought I had everything covered. Then students with long beards and strong unions showed up on my door step.

I have visions of flaming students running around.

How do other schools handle this issue???
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-07-2005 15:04
I understand the thoughts of the smell of burning hair part, but what are you going to do about the use of grinders and other equipment that loose clothing or hair(long beards) can get caught in?
Interesting topic, I'm guessing these aren't highschool kids you are talking about.

The addition of a piece of leather along the front edge of the welding shield is used to protect the neck from flash burns and spatter, maybe you can find one that is long enough to hide these beards behind?
John Wright
Parent - By edrews Date 10-07-2005 15:07
No, these are adults, age 30-65, maintenance employees.

Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-07-2005 15:12
You also might want to consider the liabilty for injury too. I am sure the school has someone to speak too on legal issues.
You should be able to make them sign a waiver that does not make you or the school liable for injury.
Just tell them to trim it or sign it.

I have seen first hand results of when a grinder and a shirt get together.I can just about imagine the results of grinder and beard. If he is lucky the grinder would stop with the hair before it made it to the skin.
Parent - - By labtechy (*) Date 10-07-2005 19:09
WEll, been there done that. When I started welding in the 70's long hair was in. I remember more than once smelling burnt hair. The victim usually showed up the next day trimmed. The leather taped to the bottom of the shield works fine, also helps shield the skin too. My concern would be, why are these welders welding without a respirator? Anything less than an air fed wouldn't be satifactory. Years ago I was told if I didn't pass the respirator test I would be forced to use an air fed respirator. Hooking one of the things up every day and carrying it around changed the attitude quick.
You can not sign away your rights! I'm sure you could base your decision on safety and the union couldn't do a thing about it. SAFETY RULES!
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-07-2005 19:30
"You cannot sign away your rights!"
Have you ever gone to a local short track race and paid to go to the pits. Everytime I do it I get to sign a waiver. My rights, to sue them, are what I am waiving by signing.
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 10-11-2005 17:49
To be honest with you, I doubt those waivers would hold much weight with a good lawyer. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I recently allowed 2 people to four wheel on my property. My attorney said even after they signed the waiver I'm still liabel. My homeowners insurance agent said the same thing. I'll trust there opinion.
The same goes for this safety issue. If you knowingly let them weld after you have advised them of the consequences are you really concerned about safety.
I agree that they cover up or keep it trimmed. Better you than me.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-07-2005 20:34
If the hair catches fire or gets cut off in a grinder, the problem is solved for the next day. The real trick is doing that without major burns or losing the scalp.

I wonder if dipping the beards into christmas tree fireproofing could be written into a policy? That might solve half the problem.
Chet
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-07-2005 21:01
I should know better than comment on a safety, specially (trying to) making the same point again, but on any safety concern, I believe you have to take into consideration who you are dealing with.
That is, if you call the hall for a Journeyman Ironworker/connector, then you might have to give him a brief rundown of any rules particular to that job site, but for the most part he should be safely hanging iron by mid morning. But, if you send the 19 year old office girl/parts runner to the job site with the payroll checks, then it might be best to not let her drive over there without a pretty good discussion of driving around cranes, trucks, scrappers, dozers and the many hazards of the site. And she doesn't even get to think about going up a ladder.

So the salty old dog who's spent 35 years welding pipe (and wears a hood that's older than me) doesn't get a second glance if his beard reaches ZZ Top dimensions. But the new welders helper will be thouroghly informed of the hazards that might reach out and grab him by the hair.

My personal experience setting my facial hair afire is extensive, and I've always found that it won't support combustion on it's own, but that's too anectdotal to base a policy on ;)

JTMcC.

Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-10-2005 02:38
I've got the long hair and the beard. Hasn't been a problem. I concur that it doesn't support combustion very well. I've had more occasion to beat out fire on my clothes. From time to time I have to spray paint something and a regular respirator seems to work well enough if I keep it snug. If we used any of those super paints I might rethink that but then they recommend supplied air for everybody.
Bill
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-10-2005 16:21
The second consideration we make in the safety rule world is whether we are trying to solve a real, or imagined problem. In our work we don't do anything that hasn't been done for decades, so we have the advantage of looking back to see if (using your example) facial hair has been a cause of injury on the job.
We really try to avoid putting additional rules/regulations and annoyances in place because of something that "looks" dangerous to the ininitiated but in decades of use has not posed any hazard. If you look around, you will see dozens of rules in place that do just that. They hinder productivity and cost money but in reality do nothing to create a safer workplace. "Feelgood" safety regulations if you will.

JTMcC.

Parent - By jackal Date 10-17-2005 22:54
The guys I am around don't seem to mind using rubber bands and make a ponytail out of their beard and putting it down the front of their shirt.
AND a long ponytail out of their head hair and stuffing it down their shirt or up in their welding hat. Guys wikll do what they need to if they love that long hair.

LAter,
Jackal
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / beards