Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto Darkening Hoods
- - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-09-2005 16:47
I have looked through posts back to 2003 but wanted to revisit this subject since these hoods are becomming more popular every day. I've decided to buy a auto darkening hood for my workshop where I have a Maxstar 150 stick/tig setup (DC Inverter), so I'm working with lower amperages. One of my local dealers recommends the Jackson NexGen, but can order a couple others that run about $50.00 higher.

I use 1/16, 3/32 & 1/8 stick electrodes in 6011, 6013, 7014 & 7028. But have heard more comments regarding TIG. Are there any things I need to consider, specifically related to DC low amperage TIG, when making my hood selection? Is there any problems with the HF start and the electronics in the hood? Any comments are appreciated.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-09-2005 21:50
I use a nex-gen and find it exceptional. The sensitivity works well for low light like TIG. The delay alows me to use air arc and not see spots from the glow that remains on the tip of the rod.It works well out in the sun. I burn and grind with it.

The headgear is the only problem. It is not very tough. If you get one run a tap clear thruugh the tightner nut on each side so it won't bottom out and twist off.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 10-11-2005 00:44
I have several friends that had some hard luck or just plain bad experiences with the more rescent Jackson hoods. I own a Speedglas and the headgear is great, it is lighter in weight and the shell is more flexible which is a plus working in confined racecar chassis. I have used the optima and like the grind feature, and Miller makes one with 4 sensors which is nice. I have used or have friends with each of these models and they haven't had any bad words thus far.
pjs
Parent - By OSUtigger (**) Date 10-11-2005 01:17
I also use the NexGen, and would recommend it as well. I have not had any problems with it other than finding the inner protective plate with the slots cut for the adjustment buttons (do not use a normal plate, it will hold down the on button and cause the batteries to run down quick-learned that one the same way that you learn to put something over your ear-canal...the hard way). But that is easy enough to avoid, just draw the pattern on a normal plate's paper cover and use the high speed fine tooth vertical bandsaw (I realize this is not the safest way, nor the best practice, but no one around here keeps them in stock, and I'm not going to ruin another electronic lens because the inside plate has more spatter than a stovetop after frying bacon). I haven't had as much trouble with the headgear, but I have had to replace it before, and at some inconvenient times. The NexGen has four sensors, one at each corner, and all the bells and whistles, some which I hardly ever use.

I have used the speedglasses before as well, and would say that they work just as well in functionality. However, what some people credit to it, I gotta say that I don't really like-- The lightness of the hood makes it hard to get used to its break over when you don't have an extra hand to flip it down, and it's pliability makes it seem a little like a soggy pancake on my head (I've been a Jackson guy since I was 14, so I'm probably a little biased too). I kinda like to feel the weight and impact, call it a security blanket.

My suggestion, you're talking about a pretty pricey piece of equipment, so ask the dealers if you can try them on. They probably won't let you take it for a test drive, but at least you can get the feel.

gls
Parent - By Cbaron Date 10-11-2005 19:25
There are alot of good quality auto darkening hoods available, hobart miller are light but i have had bad experiance with longevity. however they have replaced the thing for me 4 times for free under warranty. i have hear good things about speedglass but i now use the lincoln ultrashade and i am extremely happy, there are no buttons to forget about its fully automatic and solar powered so you dont have to worry about batteries. also the headgear is well desighned and comfortable. unfortunatly they are a bit expensive. i think mine was right around 300
Parent - By weldemup Date 11-25-2005 03:30
I have owned and used speedglass and Jacksons NexGen and have been somewhat dissapointed with both, expecially for the price. Had problems with the speedglass not shielding my ears while mig welding and turning to the light stage while tig welding. The NexGen lens is excellent but the headgear on the hood is junk. I like the Lincoln (uvex)Trackside the best, I have used one for 1 1/2 years now with no problems or complaints.
Parent - - By craig Date 11-25-2005 16:17
i went out and spent some cash on this baby....The Satellite...it was money well spent, the headstrap is ultra comfy, nice adjustment....the hood has a nice range, sensitivity, and delay setup...Uvex makes the lenses, so its quality through and through....don't mean to sound like a commercial

http://www.optrel.com/index2.htm

i ordered it through this ebay store...

http://stores.ebay.com/Welding-Supplies-from-IOC_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm
Parent - - By metalfab (*) Date 11-26-2005 06:12
The Optrel is a nice helmet but, to replace the battery you have to replace the entire sensor unit. The Miller BWE has 4 sensor too, great for when you are in awkward positions that may block them.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-26-2005 12:36
MetalFab

If you check the Optrel site, under Technical Data, it says " Power Supply: Solar Powered. Batteries do not need to be changed".
Parent - - By metalfab (*) Date 11-26-2005 22:51
Yes, you are correct however, point of failure anywhere in the Optrel sensor unit and the whole thing has to be replaced, unlike the BWE.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-28-2005 15:03
After checking the Miller BWE website, I believe that for any failure (other than batteries which the Optrel doesn't have), you have to replace the entire sensor unit. Both have about the same replacement parts for other parts of the helmet.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 11-30-2005 04:01
craig,

After test driving the NexGen, the Miller & the Optrel, I settled on the Satellite. The headgear is the most comfortable I have ever used and the distance adjustment (back and forth) is really nice. I thought the smaller window would be a problem but the inclination adjustment made that problem go away. The variable shade adjustment 5 to 13 was what I was after for low amp TIG, and the others did not offer this. The little "O" ring on the front cover lense protects the electronics from moisture and dust too.

I ordered mine through one of my customers suppliers to take advantage of their discount. I'm really happy so far.

~thirdeye~
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Auto Darkening Hoods