Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Symbol?
- - By sbmathias (*) Date 10-14-2005 14:59
I'm trying to figure out what welding symbol to use. I have two cylindrical pieces (pipe, for example), mitered at 45-deg, then put together to form a 90-deg angle. The inside of this angle would probably use a fillet weld and symbol, but the outside corner isn't a fillet at all. What symbol is appropriate?
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-14-2005 15:58
In my opinion it would be a groove weld all around but you could also just make it a fillet all around(not saying that the fillet would be right but detailers use it all the time).

The other day I saw a drawing with TC-U4b weld on a column baseplate and it had an all around weld symbol.I know what he wants but technically the detailed weld is wrong.

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-14-2005 16:52
What application is this joint? Is it structural or mechanical? The design of this joint will help determine the proper weld symbol(s).
John Wright
Parent - By sbmathias (*) Date 10-17-2005 15:01
There is really no joint prep in this case. The inside corner gets a fillet weld, and the outside corner really gets melted over, with a little filler added as required. It is somewhat structural, but it is just copper pipe, so there really isn't much strength there to start with.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 10-15-2005 01:23
The welding symbol for the outside corner would depend on the groove preperation. If none, I would call it a square groove weld. I typically like to cut the last little bit of the pipe off square to made the end a single V groove weld. It is easier to make a nice radius that way too.(The sides would still be a square groove weld unless a bevel is put on one or both pipes)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Symbol?