Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller 300 Pro
- - By beracah (*) Date 10-03-2005 04:06
I was just wondering if anyone else out there has any experience with the 300 Pro Miller Generator/Welder. The first day I used it the automatic shut-off was activated three times but for no reason. The fluid levels were right on the mark. It re-started fine. My dealer recomended that I change the oil to a 15W-40 which worked well for a few days but the problem came back yesterday. Both days that this has happened were very warm (above 80 degrees) and it always shuts off when the engine returns to idle, never when it is running wide open. In both instances I was running 5/32" 7018 in the 165-180 amp range.

In all fairness, both the local dealer and the Miller people have been very attentive and courteous to this situation and I may well wind up with a whole new machine out of this but I am a little worried about running into the same problem all over again. I am a little worried that these machines just can't handle the heat!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Beracah Welding
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 10-11-2005 02:54
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/mc05042.pdf
Parent - By Mike Brace (**) Date 10-13-2005 12:22
Have you contacted the Miller Service guys? I have a lot of experience with the Pro 300 and it sounds like the oil pressure sensor is not working properly. The oil pressure lowers at idle and if the switch is faulty it will do just as you describe. Call 1-920-735-4233 and ask for the service guys. Other than this how is the welding performance of the machine?
Parent - By beracah (*) Date 10-17-2005 01:58
Thanks for the input. I have worked closely with the Miller service people and their customer service has been beyond reproach! The current prevailing wisdom is that the problem was a heat sensor switch that I will install at my next available opportunity.

The welding performance is superb and the fuel economy is beyond belief! I did the math when I filled up on Friday and I am getting 3.2gal/hr! This is of course only a rough esimate but to give you an idea I was running a lot of 1/8" and 5/32" 7018 in addition to the usual grinding and idling.

Beracah Welding
Parent - By beracah (*) Date 10-17-2005 02:01
Correction;

Fuel economy is 3.2hrs/gal!!

The one darn time I forget to proof read and look what happens!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller 300 Pro