Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum windings in Lincoln
- - By supermechanic (**) Date 10-15-2005 14:03
Anyone here know which engine drive welders made by Lincoln had the crappy aluminum generator windings? Chance to pick up a machine on the cheap, I don't want a dog.
Parent - By metallord (*) Date 10-16-2005 17:19
ive used a couple of different sa 200 machines and i currently own and run a sa 350.aluminium or not ive yet to come across a lincoln that was a dog.i live in alberta canada were welding has been a huge trade since the oilfeilds opened up.this province was built on the metal trades and lincolns have been around for ever.unless the motor is shot,i wouldnt worry about the windings.
Parent - - By tool_man (*) Date 10-19-2005 05:50
Metallord is correct.Don't let aluminum windings frighten you.Someone correct me if I am wrong but,I don't think any manufacturer makes a welder with copper windings anymore.I have an old hobart RC1-200.It has aluminum windings and it has never had a problem.Another big plus is the weight reduction.Electrically,the are equal to copper windings.
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 10-19-2005 12:01
To this day i havent come across any alum wire in any Lincoln armature. Even the rotors in their welders are copper wired. The alum rumor got started in the early 70s when Miller was competing with their Big 40 against Lincolns gas drives. http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=2586
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-19-2005 18:30
The only comment that I would make to you concerning the aluminum winding topic would be more towards machine models and intended use. If you are considering any of the SA model machines I believe that it is a non-issue, whether you are running SMAW, FCAW, GTAW or most other welding processes. If you are planning on doing some heavyduty carbon arc gouging then I would stay away from the Ranger 8, Ranger 9 type machines I don't believe that they will hold up well under severe service at high amp loads as is the case with this process or any other that requires continous operation on the highend of the machines output. Just my opinion, Allan
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 10-20-2005 23:11
Thanks to all who replied.
I looked at the machine on wednesday, it was obvious that the welder has been in a fire.
Cover had new decals, and paint,radiator was a mess of solder patches, the engine wiring looked like the inside of the broiler at Burger King.
I decided to let the next guy have it.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 10-21-2005 01:29
It migh be worth a 100 bucks for parts though.
Parent - By metallord (*) Date 10-22-2005 03:13
keep looking,there is tons of sa 200,sa 250,and sa 350,s around ive owened a few different models.the older 200,s have been knowen to push up to 350 amps on the load bank.the sa 350 was a candian built machine so there might not be as many of them around.if you find an older one you should have a service shop around that will compression test and load test it for you,if that is all good over time you can upgrade the idle control and the distributer.these machines are bullet proof and are well worth the money spent,condsidering a classic 300 is probably about 12,000$. keep looking you wont be disapointed.
Parent - - By TIMSLIBBY Date 11-04-2005 02:51
so much for rummors. i'm writing this because i am now repalcing my field coiles in a 200sa.YES they are aluminum. they are covered in a copper colored varnish and would appear to be copper but ther not. i removed the stator housing and separated the field pole. and removed the bundle.after examining it for a break, i noticed the weight.so lite that it couldnt be copper.i scraped the varnish and there it was , white metal. now ill tell you why you dont whant aluminum windings.
if this unit travels at all or works on or around the ocean. the salt water will get to it.salt does not like aluminum and if there are any week spots on your insulation. it will kill it. i found the tinyest spot of corrosion. had to look hard. the varnish was holding the wire together but the circuit was dead. no out put, no field ajustment.i found the the older machines with the smooth round stator housing are the ones you want.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 11-04-2005 03:32
Tim, can I ask you for the code # of your machine for my records? Im trying to determine what years aluminum was used in the octagon shaped generator housing. I still havent seen aluminum in an armature though.
Parent - - By TIMSLIBBY Date 11-07-2005 03:37
ill look for that #.your right about the armature. i think they still use copper because its difficult to attach to the comutator,aluminum.
i made my series windings in copper. 2 gauge sizes smaller than the aluminum. or 20aws copper to be exact. they have the same resistance.it takes about 2300ft per coil or 7 lbs.
Parent - By metallord (*) Date 11-08-2005 05:47
well tim might have a point about the salt water but as far as travelling goes,theres lincoln sa machines on the backs of trucks everywhere,ive never had a problem with any of my machines and i know at least two of them had aluminum windings.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum windings in Lincoln