Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / i think my welder is shorting out
- - By hkshooper Date 10-21-2005 18:27
I have a little Dayton 85amp welder and I was welding an my compressor turned on and it turned the circuit breaker off I turned it back on and turned the welder on and it made a sound like the power was shorting out then it just turned off the circuit breaker, I turned the breaker back on and let it sit with the fan on the welder on for a wile and tried again still didn’t work where do I start to fix this problem
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-21-2005 18:34
Unplug your welder?
Parent - - By hkshooper Date 10-21-2005 18:44
i have unpluged it i let it sit all night didnt do anything i took the sides off and blew any dust out didnt do any thing, i have tryed it a few days and it still does the same thing.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-21-2005 18:59
I was offering advice to help you isolate it to the welder being the cause of the breaker tripping. So, it is the welder then. There are a few guys that frequent this board that work on these machines, maybe one will chime in and offer a suggestion.
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-21-2005 21:20
I am not an electrician but, offhand, I'd say you might have a problem with your circuit breaker. However it is also possible that something burned out inside your welding machine.

Either way, letting your machines sit overnight won't cure electrical problems (although blowing them out is not a bad idea)

I suggest that you find an electrician who can check out your electrical panel, wiring, and your machinery. You don't want to burn down your building nor get electrocuted, and if you are not knowledgeable about electricity, those things could happen.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 10-22-2005 11:22
Did you have a 120v welder and a 120v air compressor plugged into the same circuit when the breaker tripped? Does the air compressor work on that circuit now? You know they should be on 2 different circuits if you want to use them at the same time.
Parent - - By hkshooper Date 10-22-2005 22:33
yes both the welder and compressor are 120 i thought that the compressor was off so i was welding and it turned on, the compressor still works but not the welder
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 10-23-2005 12:30
If the compressor still works on that circuit then your welder is at fault.
Parent - By Century ASC Date 10-25-2005 21:17
It is probably incidentle that the compressor came on when your welder developed this problem, although the temporary low voltage may have contributed. Your problem is likely to be at least one or more shorted diodes in the rectifier. You can replace just the bad ones, but this is highly NOT recommended. The diodes come in packages of 4, you need to replace all eight, or twelve if you have the more current upgraded version. If there are any burned spots or wires on the diode holders buy the complete rectifier assembly - this is the best bet anyway (the diodes are polarity sensitive). Lincoln Electric bought this division, call them @ 866.236.0044 X3 for a part number & ordering information.
Parent - By hkshooper Date 10-26-2005 05:04
thank you i will give them a call because i did smell them when i turned it off and they smelled funny.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 11-13-2005 05:20
Sounds like a shorted diode in your welder.

good Luck

brande
Parent - - By hkshooper Date 11-16-2005 02:13
hey thanks guys i replaced the diodes and rectifier and it works agean
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-16-2005 11:13
Cool deal! :) Glad you found and fixed your problem.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / i think my welder is shorting out