Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help, cut/welding a 4k gal used gas tank
- - By Sealcoater Date 10-24-2005 19:43
I'm sure there are others who have asked this but I cant find it in the past posts.

I am getting ready to do some work on a 4k gal used racing fuel tank,to turn it into a bulk sealer tank and want to make sure I do all the right things to stay safe and not blow up the place. I know gas seeps into the metal, so I thought filling it up, (outside) with water and adding dry ice while I cut and weld might do the trick. But it seems like a lot of work since its dropping below freezing and hope for an easyer way.

What is the standard practice? I did look at the API Standard for hot-tapping but couldn't find info for this. Do I need to cut a large hole in it and let it sit for 6 monthes and air out before welding. Is there a simple way or am I just crazy to even try?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Sealcoater
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 10-24-2005 20:46
http://www.fortunecity.com/village/lind/247/index_WELD.htm

Read Section 5 of Chapter 2. It will give you a couple of ways to prepare it for cutting. If it is good enough for Uncle Sam it should work for you too.

When I was in the Army we always used the vehicle exhaust method but take your pick.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-24-2005 20:54
Just keep your fire triangle in mind...take away one or more of the legs of the triangle and it won't support combustion. Be safe. :)
John Wright
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-24-2005 22:39
API DOES have a recommended practice on how to weld empty tanks that have contained flammable fluids. I've used it years ago but I don't remember the number.
It's a recommended practice, not a standard. It's for welding tanks, not for hot tapping.
If you don't find it on the API site, you can always give a call to API in Washington DC and ask for the number.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Sealcoater Date 10-25-2005 04:56
Thank you all, you have been most helpful.

Cheers
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help, cut/welding a 4k gal used gas tank