Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / At work we do a land with out a back up?
- - By jay72chevy (*) Date 10-29-2005 04:46
I work with poles you put a back up strip on end of pole and form it to the flats and tack then you grind it to a knife edge hang on a big base and tack it in place. Then do your C weld. I was told by the one guy this is wrong and it takes more time to do it too. Anyone know anything about it??
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 10-29-2005 17:47
Without usage of correct welding terminology in composing your question, a clear answer is unlikely.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 11-02-2005 18:08
What type of poles are you making?

Brian
Parent - By jay72chevy (*) Date 11-13-2005 01:21
anything from wireless, to traffic big 100' with hanging big bases on it.
Parent - By BillC (**) Date 11-13-2005 16:22
If I understand this correctly, the poles you are welding are not round at the base, but are hexagonal or some other polygon. When you put on a round backing strip (on the inside?) you have gaps at the points of the polygon, so you have to form the backing strip to match the polygonal shape of the base to wliminate gaps. Is this correct? Is the mating surface on the base also polygonal or are they round? Do you weld on the outside or inside the base?

What is a C weld? What process and filler are you using?

Regards,
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / At work we do a land with out a back up?