Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 1/4" Rd Bar to 1/2" SS Plate
- - By got2weld Date 10-29-2005 01:26
Apply 1/4" SS Rd Bar to 1/2" SS Plate w/stainless steel mesh screen between. Tig is best method to prevent damage to mesh screen, but time consumption hurts (approximately 42' weld per secton of frac colm).
Would like recomendation on mig process (or a better process) along with best gas to be used to prevent damage to the screen. (weld splatter that coud burn through the screen)
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 10-29-2005 13:13
I can't quite picture what you are fabricating from your abbreviated description. I have done similar SS work, if I get your drift. I covered the screen with a fire blanket and used short circuit GMAW. Galvanized sheet metal duct taped down also makes an excellent spark barrier. Airgas tri mix is the gas I used.
Parent - By got2weld Date 10-30-2005 01:06
The application applies to a vertical vessel with multiple sections/levels of 1/2" plate w/holes, with (2) layers of screen applied on top of the 1/2" plate for filtering. The screen is held down with 1/4" Rd Bar which is welded to the plate.
Because of the circumference of the vessel, screen protection has proven to be difficult.
I agree with the process that you are speaking of as long as the individual takes the time to protect the screen properly. (as sad as it is, this is always a problem)
I thought that maybe there might be a "miracle" gas that would be more appropiate for this situation, even if it is not so cost effective.
What do you think about running wire smaller than .035 to eliminnate or lessen possible "fireballs, bb's" (not sure of correct lingo) when the welder loses his/her lead angle of the gun?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 1/4" Rd Bar to 1/2" SS Plate