Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / relief valves on flow meters blowing
- - By wjolenerd Date 11-07-2005 16:47
Am doing some simple TIG on black iron using CO2 as gas. As soon as I struck an arc the relief valve on the flow meter blew so I changed over to argon and the same thing happened again. Help! What is happening? Since I've never had this happen or even heard of it happening can I "reset" this flow meter or do I have to put it in the shop?
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 11-07-2005 18:09
If it's a victor flow meter, on the front there is a cap nut. Loosen the nut and underneath you will see a allen head set screw. You can turn this set screw counter clock wise and it will relieve the pressure on the relief valve. If that does not work then take it to a welding supply place and have it bench tested.
I do have one question. Why would you want to use c02 for a cover gas?
thanks
Jim
Parent - By backpurge (*) Date 11-08-2005 14:49
Got to agree with Jim, CO2 for shielding TIG?????????????
Parent - By wjolenerd Date 11-09-2005 17:10
I worked overseas years ago and I swore we used Co2 for shield but maybe I was dreaming. I did try the allen screw trick and nothing changed, gas still blows out the relief valve. I backed the screw completely out and ran it back in. No change. I backed it out and stuck a utensil up to touch what the allen screw rests against expecting some resistance but no, it's loose. So I guess they are shop bound. I still don't understand why this happened in the first place.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / relief valves on flow meters blowing