Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln SA 400
- - By Beamwalker Date 11-07-2005 13:51
I am having an intermittent problem with my 400. The machine was completely rebuilt 4 years ago used 300+- hours after rebuild then stored in building for about 3 years until recently when I needed it again. The engine runs great, the problem is it wont always idle up when i try to strike an arc. I have to get down and Idle the machine up each time, unless i pin the vacum idler to high idle all the time. The next day it may idle up fine all day. I am not sure where to start but it is irritating to say the least. It was suggested that i should take the back cover off and sand the exciter lightly with a sanding block, or replace the vacum idler.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Beamwalker
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 11-07-2005 23:29
Try this link
http://www.weldmart.com/
Parent - By metallord (*) Date 11-08-2005 02:27
super has sugested weldmart.they can sell you a kit to change the vacum idle to electronic.works like a charm.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 11-10-2005 03:09
Check to make sure your machine is not idling too slow.
Parent - By Beamwalker Date 11-16-2005 13:34
Thanks to all that responded. It was actually the felt filter behind the vacume adjustment screw. It had worn and hardened over the years to the size of a nitro pill, not a good thing. Replaced with a new piece of felt and runs like a top again.

Thanks again.
Parent - - By Dave (**) Date 11-15-2005 19:04
Beamwalker,

I was just wondering if your name derives from your occupation as an ironworker or if it's a tribute to a couple of your "spirited" friends.

Dave
Parent - By Beamwalker Date 11-16-2005 13:31
actually my friends, I am do the crawl method lol.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln SA 400