Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MillerMatic 135 or Lincoln SP-135 Plus?
- - By jh225 Date 11-08-2005 23:36
I am looking to pick up a small Mig welder for home use. It will be used for exhaust, mowers, car repair, making brackets, etc.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the MillerMatic 135 or the Lincoln SP-135 Plus.

They both have infinite voltage control which is a must. They both put out 135 amps, can be had in a ready to go kit and are priced very close.

Which is the better unit/brand and why?

OR

Do I step up to a Miller 175 type of machine? The problem I forsee with a 220v unit is that it is not portable (such as if I wanted to take it to my buddy's house and he has no 220v hookup).

I have 220v available in my garage, so for myself, it is not a problem.

Will a 135 do any type of frame work on cars? It will NOT be used for frame work very much, maybe a engine mount or a bracket now and then.

Will a 220v unit drop voltage low enough to do sheetmetal?

OR

Do I look into the DVI unit to get both 115v and 220v options?
Parent - - By dandimand Date 11-14-2005 00:51
i have a sp135 plus i wouldnt recommend this small of a machine for frame work go to a larger machine . ps i bought it for sheet metal works awesome there .
Parent - By tupper (*) Date 11-18-2005 01:48
oh, i have had some good luck with the sp135t. i HAVE welded a frame with it. Either you v down the joint or you go to the flux core. and with the welder ramped up with the flux core, you can get some welding done. an odd thing that i have noticed is that for some reason you have to let it warm up for about 10 seconds before you weld. one time i turned it right on and pulled the triggure and it popped a breaker. but as for enduance, i can get more than the 2 min out of it. but i would definatly recomment it.
Parent - - By welderseller (**) Date 11-23-2005 00:42
The 135 should not be an option at all for welding up any kind of frame work. I would go with your last suggestion and seriously take a hard look at the Millermatic DVI.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 11-23-2005 12:04
The Lincoln is the better of the 2.
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 11-23-2005 12:34
Even the 110 volt units are not exactly "portable". You want a small tig/stick inverter for this. That'll cost a bunch more $$. Most places will have some source of 220 volts if you are willing to make adaptors and extension cords. For true portability you want it light and able to use any voltage.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MillerMatic 135 or Lincoln SP-135 Plus?