Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Want to weld...where to start?
- - By migace312 Date 11-27-2005 17:41
Hi. I'm new to this forum and I want to start learning EVERYTHING there is to know about welding. The welding I plan on doing is mostly for automotive applications like fabricating intake manifolds, exhaust systems, roll cages....all that good stuff. The materials I intend to do most work with are stainless steel pipe and aluminum.
Here are some questions I have:
-What would be the ideal welder (Make/model) to get me started?
-What type of welding is ideal for these applications?

Also, I would like to stay in the $300 range for the welder. Thanks!
Parent - By metalfab (*) Date 11-28-2005 01:46
A $300 budget on a machine alone has limited your choice greatly.

To weld aluminum and stainless steel properly you need a very good setup. If you want a single machine to do both materials look into GMAW (MIG) or GTAW (TIG) solutions. With Miller, for example, you'd have to spend $1000+ US for their cheapest solution; either the MM 210 (GMAW) or Maxstar 150 STL (GTAW). Keep in mind thats for the machine alone, nothing else.

Good luck.
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 11-28-2005 09:19
Seeing what you have to spend for a welding set up, you may want to invest in a welding course at your local community college first. Atleast you would get to use some welding equipment which welds what you are wanting to weld (aluminum, stainless,etc.) and talk to the instructor about what you really want to learn (to weld).
For welding stainless or carbon steel, GTAW or tig welding is the way to go and the set-up for that could be bought for about $600.00 if you can shop smart, but aluminum is a horse of another color where to use GTAW, you would need a high-frequency unit and an AC power supply which really starts to run into money. GMAW or mig is another alternative, but again you would need to invest alot more cash to really be able to do it.
It would seem wise to learn the processes to weld the alloys you want first and then save up the cash to buy what you really need. Even if you had the cash to buy both set-ups (to Tig & Mig) it wouldn't do much good if you have not learned properly how to weld.
Just a suggestion.
Be well,

Hawk
Parent - - By Arcandflash (**) Date 11-28-2005 15:47
I agree 100% with Hawk. If you want to know what you are doing early on in the game get some education. Good welding is more than melting 2 pieces together, it is understanding the metallurgy and joint preparation so you know your welds well hold up under the design stresses. Would you want to be racing at 150 mph knowing your cage had been welded by a weekend hacker?

It is not my intention to insult anybody who strictly "learned by doing"; I know some of these people are fantastic welders. I also know that there is more to the game than just taking a course and striking an arc. However, I do believe that education is a good first-step in any field which should make the on-the-job aspects go better and is a foundation for life-long learning which is important in these days where things can change quickly.

Good luck.
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 11-29-2005 00:42
I am a "weekend hacker" and attended some formal welding classes some time ageo. I highly recommend at least the most basic class. One thing any decent vocational school will cover is safety. This is really more important than the weld technique, especially if you'll find youself welding without an experienced person looking over your shoulder. The weld strength and appearance won't mean much if the garage you weld in burns down. Most entry level weld classes will discuss ventilation, fire safety, and many other issues that most people just starting hadn't considered. Oh, and one last comment 300 bucks is really not enough to get much going with a welder. Remember, you need to cut and form the metal before you weld it togerther. Saws, grinders, drills,benders, and the list goes on.
Parent - By weldo (*) Date 12-01-2005 07:05
Well, i'm new in here, but i'm not new to welding, in answer to your question, If you're talking about aluminum, cast and stainless, then you could get by with a buzz box with a high frequency unit, which you will have to buy seperately, that will allow you to tig aluminum, but that depends also on how much tig welding you plan to do, i have used just such a set-up in the past and used a dry tig torch, and have had success with it, I will tell you that you will still be into it more than $300 though, the buzz box will take care of your stick welding for the most part, I would definitely get the a/c, d/c unit though, lincoln is pretty good. Lots of luck to you.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Want to weld...where to start?