Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / replacing 321 ss with a better stainless
- - By arcvoice (*) Date 12-13-2005 14:28
We have had troubles with leaks through the parent metal ss321, looking for a replacement metal that will pass mass spec testing and have good weldability.. My first choice is 347 but best practices in my company have turned me away from using it.. Any suggestions
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-13-2005 15:22
What is the application?? 347 might be a good choice, but others are also available depending on the service requirements of the part to be welded.
Parent - - By SWP (**) Date 12-13-2005 16:16
Do you know what the actual leak path is? Is it associated with a weld, in the HAZ, etc.?
Parent - - By Viv (*) Date 12-16-2005 13:34
We use 321 a lot here so I am interested in any thing to do with it, can you give more details of the problem? I may not have an answer but I am sure some one will:-)
Parent - By arcvoice (*) Date 12-20-2005 14:56
VIV,
Since I have been working with 321ss I have found that cleaning is a big deal.. I also know that welding it too hot also causes cracking.. We weld 321 that is only .002 thick at 12 amps and sometimes that is too hot..I'm also finding that too much H2 in the gas mixture causes problems.. Arc length become very important dealing with H2. the less H2 you have in the mixture the more forgiving the weld puddle is..We have had to get rid of the good cleaners and it seems that mechanical cleaning is the way to go.. I also am starting to look at tumbling some small parts to clean them.. We also have seen stringers right through the parent metal, does anyone know of a remelt 321ss
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / replacing 321 ss with a better stainless