Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mig wire makers
- - By ottomatic Date 12-16-2005 15:10
Greetings,
New to the forum. Does anyone know how many companies actually manufacture mig wire. I see a wide variety of "deals". You have Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, CH, HTP..... all hawking there brand. Does all this stuff come from the same plant and they just slap their name on it? Its always good to save some money but not at the expense of quality.
Love the great info from this message board.
Thanks
Parent - By SWP (**) Date 12-16-2005 15:40
I worked in the auto industry, with 27 automated mig systems running 1000 lbs spools of 0.045" E70S-6. Early on we had problems with extreme variabilty in wire cast, from spool to spool it could change from 30" to absolutely straight, not condusive to repeatable results. We also had issues with poor splices in the wire. Based on our comments and requests, Lincoln bent over backwards to perfect that wire package for us, and it perfomed flawlessly for the remaining 6 years I was there. I don't know about the cost breakdown or comparison to other suppliers, but as one of the engineers on the line, there were plenty of other problems, we didn't need to mess with wire.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mig wire makers