Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol--reinforcing fillet
- - By HgTX (***) Date 12-22-2005 21:14
AWS A2.4 Fig. 7 implies that when no size is given for a reinforcing or backing fillet, then the fillet leg size is the same as the face width of the groove weld.

Is this the case? Is it explicitly stated anywhere in the text of A2.4?

Am I correct in thinking that the fillet weld size would then be the material thickness for a single groove and half the material thicknes for a double groove?

Hg
Parent - By henri (*) Date 12-22-2005 22:33
For prequalified joints (Figures 3.3 and 3.4) of D1.1-02 see note 7.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-23-2005 18:53
Also see Fig. 2.4, Note 6 in D1.5.

My A2.4 Figure 7 provides no info on weld size. I interpret Article 3.5, which refers to Fig 7, as being illustrative in depicting combined weld symbols without necessarily being anything more than that.

CG
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-26-2005 17:26
A2.4 is a standard for welding, brazing, and NDT symbols. It does not address workmanship or design issues or the requirements that are address by a specific construction codes or standard. Examples of codes that would include design and workmanship requirements include; D1.1 Structural Welding Code/Steel, ASME B31.3 Process Piping, NAVSEA S9074-AR-GIB-010/278 (NAVSEA TP278), etc.

The size of the reinforcing fillet will be addressed by the particulars of the construction code. For instance, AWS D1.1-2000 addresses the size of the reinforcing fillet weld in paragraph 2.14.3. NAVSEA TP278 addresses it a little differently. The standard joint details for NAVSEA TP278 are contained in MIL-STD-22D. That standard has provisions for the maximum and minimum size of the reinforcing fillet weld.

Rarely, except for thin material, is the reinforcing fillet as large as the width of the weld of the bevel groove (in the case of a corner joint).

The size of the fillet weld would be listed to the left of the symbol for (i.e., the reinforcing fillet weld) when the symbol is specified as a "complex" welding symbol.

Hope this helps. I can't over emphsize the need to check the requirements of the applicable or elected welding standard. If an AWS welding code doesn't apply, you can possibly refer to one of the AWS welding standards (railroad equipment, rotating equipment, mill cranes, etc.) that may be applicable to your application.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-27-2005 15:23
HgTX,

I don't interpret any implications from A2.4 with regard to reinforcing fillet weld sizes. In fact, reinforcing fillet sizes may need to be calculated separately because in some cases the "reinforcing" fillet and the groove weld in complete penetration joints may be intended to be combined to share the load. If this is the case, the reinforcing fillet will not increase the effective throat of the joint, and thus the effective throat should not be taken as the sum of the combined strength of both the groove and fillet welds. Calculations for each weld should be provided and evaluated for the service requirements.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 01-02-2006 18:50
Where all this comes from is a set of plans in which reinforcing fillets are shown with no size given. Code is AWS D1.5. I wound up telling them they should either specify the size or write a note referring to the D1.5 note that governs the size of required reinforcing fillets on T & corner joints if that was their intent. (That doesn't help them with the backing fillets that they also didn't give sizes for; I'm hoping they just go ahead and size everything.)

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some convention I wasn't aware of. Those pictures in A2.4 that show pretty much every single reinforcing fillet to be the same size as the groove had me worried.

Hg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol--reinforcing fillet