Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / work in u.s.a
- - By metallord (*) Date 12-19-2005 23:57
Im interested in finding work in the us.I have been a pressure welder and a tig welder for the last 18 years.I have Canadian interprovincial Journeyman and pressure tickets and most of my experience is in the oil and gas industry(drilling equipment,stimulation equipment,jacketed piping and plant shutdowns).Im looking for work as a portable welding contractor,ive owned a rig for the last few years and would like to work state side for the experience and to see some of the states.I realize this has nothing to do with whats usually on this forum but any info would be appreciated.
Please email me at jcsserv@telus.net Thanks Metalord
Parent - By Advice-Seeker Date 01-14-2006 05:47
Well if most of your experience is in the gas and oil industry itd be good to try texas, lots of oil industry there, and also in parts of lousiana and along the florida gulf coast.
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 01-14-2006 10:52
Just FYI,
Im always seeing work for pipe fitters and the such down in Houston, Tx. Lots of work with oil and gas. Hope this helps some
CHRIS
Parent - - By - Date 01-14-2006 20:48
The two previous posts are correct, Texas and all along the Gulf Coast would be a place to start first. Due to the damage from Hurricane Rita and Katrina, a lot of work is going on in the refining industry. Rig welders are popular right now around Texas City and eastward. Good luck to you and if you come, Welcome to Texas !!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-15-2006 13:07
metallord; how do you anticipate getting a work authorization for the USA? This is the first step to being able to legally work in the USA. Unfortunately, Canada requires its citizens to give up their citizenship when migrating to the USA, are you prepared to do so? You must first obtain a work autorization through the USA Immigration and Naturlization Services unless you have a company who is willing to sponsor you.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 01-15-2006 16:35
Are you sure of this jon? I am yet to hear of this. Where did you learn of this? I am interested for myself...thanks
CHRIS
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-16-2006 10:07
My wife is from New Zealand and I have just spent the past 4 years working with immigration matters (with an attorney, of course). Yes, I am sure of it. Sounds strange to me too that Canadians would have to give up their citizenship if they sought US citizenship, doesn't work the other way, Americans can be dual citizens. That doesn't mean one needs to become a citizen, simply need work authorization through INS, which is difficult, at best to obtain (need specialized skills, very high education, etc.).
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 01-16-2006 11:21
hmm interesting. well i do appreciate the heads up....I know a canadian planning to move to us and this will be something to think about thanks
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-16-2006 12:50
It's not a problem for Canadians to move here and request work authorization, only an issue if they wish to become citizens. Most people don't realize having a green card (legal resident, authorized to work in the USA) is different than being a citizen. However, unless one has sponsorship from a company or has very highly specialized skills, obtaining a work authorization is pretty difficult.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 01-16-2006 16:02
Jon,
How does this affect a canadian who wishes to marry an american? is getting green card difficult with K1 visa? Sorry I know this is O/T of thread, but I am curious. Thanks for the info
CHRIS
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-16-2006 16:46
Well, to be honest, I know only a little about Canadian vs. USA regulations with the exception of what I've already mentioned.

If the Canadian citizen simply wishes to reside in the USA but not become a citizen then I don't think it would be a big deal. In this instance a work authorization may be granted while awaiting approval of permanent residency; i.e., the green card.

We arrived back in the USA on January 31, 2002 and it took about 9 months for my wife to get a work authorization after we were married in May 2002. The one thing is the US citizen who is "sponsoring" the K1 visa application will be legally responsible for the financial support of the non-US citizen. In other words if the non-US citizen becomes unemployed they don't get to collect benefits as you and I would. No unemployment, no welfare, etc.

When my wife came in she came in on a visa waiver program as we were uncertain if we would be able to marry in time to apply.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 01-16-2006 17:34
I agree the info Jon,
One more thing..you mentioned the support issue. Does this only apply to the period before getting the green card or is getting unemployment type benefits only offered to citizens? I was to understand it was residents which would include the green card holder. What is your take on it?
THanks
CHRIS
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-16-2006 18:39
I am fairly certain once one receives his/her green card they can collect unemployment benefits once they're eligible.

Interestingly, even though legal residents are required to pay social security taxes, it's my understanding they may not collect social security benefits unless they become citizens. That said, I believe if I were to die, my wife would be eligible to collect my benefits, just unable to file for her own, until she obtains her citizenship.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 01-16-2006 19:42
Jon, I think youre right about that SS issue. I was just reading a piece of literature I got last aug about my benefits and such. Saying all sorts of stuff about who would be entitled to my benefits and who would not. It mentioned my children up to a certain age would get benefits. Ex-wives, current wives, and no mention of any requirements to incur these with the exception seeming to be married or previously married. Well thank you Sir I do appreciate your time and effort
CHRIS
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-16-2006 20:43
My pleasure CHRIS, I hope Metallord has read this thread and realize it ain't just a matter of moving south... gets kinda complicated with all the bureaucratic BS....
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-16-2006 22:21
Hi Jon20013!

I have respectfully disagree with you regarding the question as to whether or not a legal resident residing in the US or even residing outside of the US, can receive social security benefits.

I personally know for a fact that they can because, I personally helped both my Mother and my Aunt Adina apply for these benefits.

They were both legal residents who worked for over 40 years in the US sewing dresses in the "sweat shops" and then later, with the top fashion designers of New York City where I was born. Five years ago, they both decided that it was time to become American citizens so in the beginning of 2001,just before September 11th, they both became dual citizens of both their native country of the Dominican Republic and citizens of These United States of America. They came to the United States in the early 1950's because, they believed in their brother's accounts of a better life in this country. Three sisters together came to this country with only their younger brother to show them around. Today, only my mother and my Aunt Adina is still alive...

Both my Mother, and my Aunt Adina currently live in the Dominican Republic as they are both retired, gracefully living the rest of their lives in peace, and still receiving social security retirement benefits for which they earned and started receiving before they both became American citizens. They also on occasion, reside for months at a time both here in Pittsburgh or in New York City.

Finally, my welding skills come from my Mother's sewing skills, and I'm so greatfull to her and my Aunt Adina & Idalia for also showing me how to be so proficient in my sewing skills way before my grandfather taught me how to weld because, I know now how much sewing taught me with regards to increasing my patience, my manual dexterity skills, eye to hand coordination, attention to detail, etc.
Yes! These two women will always be my first heroes!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - - By metallord (*) Date 01-16-2006 23:34
whoa, i dont want to move to the states,as a contractor i work abroad more often than not.i was interested in working in the states for the experience and to see some different places.i did read all the threads and thanks to all for the response.maybe someone has some info on if it possible to work in the states for a while and then return to canada.is my first step finding a company that will hire me? or is my first step to contact immigration?
thanks for all the info
metalord
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-17-2006 10:06
mettalord, I would do both simulataneously. I'm sorry this got so off track but simply wanted you to realise what a pain it might be! Since you're Canadian, its my understanding you can easily work in any of the British terratories. Just not that easy with the USA. You may or may not find an employer to sponsor you but I wish you best of luck!

SSBN, what I said about ssn probably was not intended unilaterally and the laws have changed significantly in the past few years, it may be different now than when your mother and aunt retired but then too, it may be country specific, I don't claim to be any sort of expert on ss but do know for a fact that my wife needs to be a citizen in order to collect her benefits. She becomes eligible to apply for citizenship this year, its been a long and tiring road!

Even in going through airport lines, I've noticed it seems like the "visitors" to our country pass right through customs and immigration while the people like my wife who has followed every legal step to the letter of the law are pulled off and interrogated... doesn't make a lot of sense to me...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / work in u.s.a