Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My Dog
- - By chabat (*) Date 01-23-2006 21:12
My dog likes to hang around the shop when I work. I only weld for a hobby, not often. Anyway, does a dog have the sense to not look at a welding arc? Should I run my dog out when I weld?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-23-2006 21:21
I would keep him outside if he isn't over in the corner laying down somewhere out of the direct light of the arc. I doubt his eyes are any less sensitive than ours. He may see it one time and look away, but then I don't know. We have had dogs around the shop over at my in-laws but they never were right up under our feet or anything, usually just sleeping over by the wood stove.
John Wright
Parent - - By chabat (*) Date 01-24-2006 19:48
Thanks John for the reply,
I figured the dog's eyes were sensitive to the arc. I just wondered if any shop dogs hang around when people are welding...
Chris
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-24-2006 23:32
I would just keep a watch to see how he reacts, if you think he's gonna stare or stay around too close you might need to make him stay out side until you finish. My guess is the sparks and bright light will keep him away. Anyway keep a watch on your friend and don't let him get hurt.
John Wright
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-25-2006 04:01

We don't call him Sparky for nothin eh?
Parent - - By beracah (*) Date 01-26-2006 03:23
For what its worth, I heard that dogs can not get arc flash for the same reason that they can not see color!? I don't understand the reasoning behind this theory but I do respect the opinions of the individual who told me. Just the same I would advise checking with a vet.

Beracah
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-26-2006 04:54

Arc burns are caused by UV light.

Ultra violet light will burn any flesh, canine or primate, light or dark skin.

My bet is most dogs are smart enough to turn their heads from the bright light.
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 01-26-2006 07:02
well my dog, lord rest her soul, she was with me all the time when Id let her. Never had any sort of trouble with her and the arc though. She dint stare at that light. They are curious animals, but It hink humans are stupidily curious. Animals instinctively dont stare at it IMHO. But Id agree Im not vet, or whatever other authoratative figure on the subject. But my experience has been the dog wont stare and there perfectly safe. Now, do need to watch when youre cutting you dont spray her....she will get very vocal
Parent - - By Dave (**) Date 01-26-2006 11:32
Moral of the story? Remember, before you kick your dog and call him a stupid animal, remember who he's got working to support him while he's "just sleeping over by the wood stove."
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 01-26-2006 23:24
My dog is quite stupid and would stare at a nuclear explosion if allowed to.
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 01-29-2006 19:59
My dogs tend to stay away while I'm welding. I think the noises scare them away. I'm sure they have seen the arc a time or two, but don't seem to be any worse for wear. If the dog won't go away, I'd shoo him off at least. After all they are full of fur and could catch on fire from a spark if not careful. Good luck :)
Parent - By chabat (*) Date 01-29-2006 23:16
You know I have not ever seen a dog just stare at the sun in the sky, so ya'll are probably right, the dog is smart enough to look away.
Parent - - By Twiitch (*) Date 01-30-2006 17:54
There is no way I would ever let my dog in the shop when I was welding if I had a shop. Got a dog but no shop. Don't even have a welder. But I wouldn't let him in. Better to be safe than sorry. Poor blind dogs are sad and if it is your fault shame on you.
Parent - By chabat (*) Date 01-30-2006 19:23
I weld outdoors. I run the dog off, but he usually doesn't stay around anyway.
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 01-31-2006 01:33
Don't get the wrong idea, I always try to protect my pooch from his own stupidity. He's still a good dog, and considering how hard he must work to earn his keep, might be smarter that I realize.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-31-2006 07:00
Let's see now, you could get an autodarkening filter and some fiberglass and build the dog a custom shield. You probably couldn't get the dog to wear it for 30 seconds but while he had it on you could get a picture that would surely make a magazine somewhere.

Seriously the most important thing is protection from the UV. Here is a link for UV goggles for your dog- http://www.pup-n-stuff.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=132
The google search terms were-
uv "pet supplies" -pond -fish sunglasses
got lots of hits I just picked one.
Bill
Parent - By RoadWarrior Date 02-10-2006 16:31
Its very clear to me. Spring for a hood for the little guy. Doesn't mans best friend deserve that much?
Parent - - By tool_man (*) Date 02-10-2006 16:35
A dog's eyes are even more sensitive to arc flash than a human due to the larger pupils which allow them to see very well in low light conditions.A large portion of the retina is exposed.I have my Cocker Spaniel trained to move away when I grind,weld,or do anything in the shop that might be a hazard to him.All I have to do is say,"Watch out Nick"...and he moves away.Try this.Pick up your grinder....tell the dog to "Watch out".Start the grinder and make some sparks.The noise of the grinder and the sparks will spook him a bit.After a few times doing this,he should associate your warning with the unpleasant sound and the sparks.If that doesn't work,then I would definately keep him out of the shop.Vet bills will make you frown.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 02-11-2006 11:56
My dog only understands French, but the only French I know is "venez ici", which means "come here". So, when I want my dog to "come here", I say "venez ici". But, to get him out of harm's way when I'm working, I sometimes need him to "go over there". Since I don't know how to say "go over there" in French, I have to stop what I'm doing, go over there, and say "venez ici". I've tried to talk to him about this several times, but he just ignores me and keeps on typing.
Parent - By azweld Date 02-11-2006 15:54
laughing my a** off.... good one swnorris!!
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-05-2006 05:45
it's hard to keep my dog away but, especially when welding i have to . because if he watches much i'll have to buy him a hood then he probably start welding on his own and start criticizing my welds then take over all my work . i'll be out of a job . willie
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 03-26-2006 03:26
my blue heeler has been in my shop for 7 years..im sure he has looked at it....doesnt seem to bother him...he see's just fine.
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 03-27-2006 00:56
Can't leave the ranch without the dog. She's an old blonde cocker spaniel, deaf and half blind; she sure can use a pair of those goggles Bill posted...her eyes are getting dim from the TIG welding she did on all those shut-downs - I was her fitter for many years.
Parent - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-09-2006 06:12
Flash burn can occur even from indirect vision, out of the corner of your eye. just my $.02
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My Dog