Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG welding with stick welder?
- - By nickkw Date 01-23-2006 20:36
Last year in High School, my welding teacher told me that it was possible to connect a TIG torch to the lead on a normal stick machine and get a bottle of gas and I was set to TIG weld (minus being able to adjust to arc with a footpedal.) Is this correct? What all do I need to TIG with my stick welder? Is there any change in the technique you use? Thanks for any help.

Nick
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-23-2006 21:14
Nick,
Don't forget to add the solenoid to cut the gas on and off. There are kits out there on the market to do exactly what you are asking about. You'll have to scratch start, to get the arc started.
John Wright

I'm sure some of the other forum users can elaborate on this kit. I've not used one.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-23-2006 21:40
Hello Nick, your teacher was correct in telling you that you can use your stick welder to tig weld with, with some restrictions. It generally requires an air-cooled torch with a manual gas control valve. If the stick machine is a dc only welder then you can only weld materials other than aluminum, magnesium and pot metal. You will have to connect the negative side of the machine output to the scratch-start torch and the ground lead to the positive side of the machine output. If your stick welder had an ac output you could also weld aluminum, magnesium, and pot metal if you had high frequency capability on the machine or you could buy a seperate high frequency generator to provide it. He was also correct in making you understand that unless your machine has remote amperage adjustment you will need to set the amperage to the proper level that will allow you to make the particular weld without adjustment midstream. A real quick run-down on making a weld with this set-up, turn on the gas flow with the valve on the tig torch, scratch and lift the tungsten on the piece that you are welding and hold it off of the material at the appropriate arc length, add rod as necessary and if required, when you are done making the weld quickly snap-off the arc and return the torch to the crater to protect it as it is cooling, once that has occured, turn off the shielding gas with the valve on the torch. Be sure to either use straight argon(most welding applications) or an argon/helium or helium shielding gas. Good luck and have fun! aevald
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-24-2006 00:28
Using DC machines. AC without High Frequency is a littly tough they say.

Gerald

Parent - - By nickkw Date 01-28-2006 17:30
Anyone have any suggestions on where to find the kits? Thanks for the help.

Nick
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 01-28-2006 18:47
Miller has a HF-251D-1 stock number 042 388 and the Secondary Contactor Kit 041 969 shown on page 79 of their 2006 catalogue/brochure. My distributor says that "HF & contactor kit" is not cheap. $1000+!
A cautionary note when using a stick machine for AC GTAW is DC component the machine will produce when welding aluminum. This heat produced by the DC component will reduce the duty cycle and output of the weld machine by as much as 50%.
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 01-29-2006 04:42
Ive heard you dont need a kit if you just want to weld with dc and a scratch start with no remote. For instance, on my bobus they said I just need a bottle of argon, the tig torch with gas valve, and thats it. No kit involved. Just depends on how involved you want this set up to be
CHRIS
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 01-29-2006 04:56
check out this site for installation.
http://www.abicorusa.com/semi125a.htm
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG welding with stick welder?