Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welder for hubby
- - By mtlfuserwife Date 02-05-2006 02:00
Hi there!
I am planning on buying a millermatic 135 for my hubby and was wondering what your thoughts on it was? Also I can't understand the polarity thing. What is that? TIA
mtlfuserwife
Parent - - By brad barnick Date 02-05-2006 02:36
That is a good small welder that should work well for lighter metals.Polarity is electrode positive or negative,it is changed
for self shielded wire or gas shielded wire>
good luck!!
Parent - - By mtlfuserwife Date 02-05-2006 02:52
how easy or difficult is it to change on that machine?
Parent - By gangel99 (*) Date 02-05-2006 03:45
It is very easy to change the polarity - less than a minute. I have a similar model from a different manufacturer (Lincoln SP135+) but I think the Miller is a great choice. Your husband will be very happy!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-05-2006 05:21
Hello mtlfuserwife, I believe all that you need to do on that machine to change the polarity is to open the side cover on the machine, under that you will see two wing nuts that are connecting a set of lugs connected to a set of cables, undo these and swap them and then reconnect and tighten the wing nuts, that should take care of changing the machine polarity. If your husband is running gasless flux-cored wire(innershield) the ground will be connected to the + side(straight polarity) and if he is operating hardwire and using gas, connect the ground to the - side(reverse polarity). That's about it concerning polarity. Your husband is a very lucky fellow to have a wife who is willing to buy him a welder, many of us aren't so lucky. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By mtlfuserwife Date 02-05-2006 15:22
Thank you for all your help. My husband welds on large industerial mufflers and generators. His passion is all his creative side jobs that he does for other people. It's better that he do them at home then at work. I've heard that inorder to weld on aluminum that you have to purchase the spoolmatic attachment? Can you weld aluminum with only the MM135? Is their any other things that I could get him besides the autodarking helmet, gloves, leathers, and gas tanks that he would need right away, that he might not already have?
TIA
Don't be so misled, I am nice enough to buy him a welder, but I do have my alterier motives. ;)
Parent - - By Benesesso (*) Date 02-05-2006 19:37
If you can afford it, you might buy him a Millermatic 175. He'd be able to weld thicker steel easier (say around 1/4" thick).
Parent - - By RICHCHARLES (*) Date 02-06-2006 01:39
He won't need a spoolgun unless he's laying down miles of weld bead. An aluminum kit for the mm135 should do him fine, also he will need a tank of argon to weld aluminum. If he's a welder he should already have the helmet and all the gear. But a nice pair of leather welding gloves is always nice to get.
Parent - By mtlfuserwife Date 02-07-2006 00:47
Just to update ya.
I got him the mm 135 ( bargin price of $550) Brand new! From Airgas. I guess it's good to be a woman!
.......... (^)(^)
........... ) (
.............. *
LOL!
But he loves it! I also got him the larger tanks that he needed too!
Thanks for all your help and advice!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welder for hubby