Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / smaw electrode types and sizes
- - By lafrancestephen Date 02-09-2006 21:32
I'm a relativly new welder with limited experience on stick I have only used 7018 rods in the 1/8" variety, in order to get certified in all positions. but I was told to pick up some 6013 rod that are 3/32" for thinner material. my question is what rod types and sizes should I stock up on for my home ac welder, and how thin and thick on material can I expect to weld without blowing a hole though it every time.

side note: my home based welder will go as low as 40 amps.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-10-2006 07:15
I suggest you get a good ol welding textbook to keep in your toolbox.

Sachs and Bohnart's Welding principles and Practices

Howard B Carey's Welding text

Larry Jeffus...

Each have information that will last a lifetime.

As for rods to stock up on... the E7018 is "hygroscopic" which means it's thirsty for water and thats bad for it. They are normally kept in an oven to keep that bad moisture away.

The E6013 is nice all purpose rod that penetrates slightly less but has nice easy slag removal and can be run vertical with downward progression.

E7014 is another rod that is easy to work with. and like E6013 it can be run on all three polarity choices with slightly different results. The E7014 stores without an oven and unless your planning to do code work is a reasonable substitute for the E7018

E6011 electrodes are good for deeper penetrating requirements or rusty or painted surfaces that you can't get properly prepped. E6011 can be run EP and AC. E6011 will also do better than the above mentioned rods on open roots
Parent - - By lafrancestephen Date 02-10-2006 11:14
those are hard books to find...

well that makes sense, when I tried pipe a few times in school we did the root with a 6010 and then followed that up with a 7018.

what is the thinnest mild steel i should even attempt to stck weld 1/16? 3/32? 1/8?
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 02-10-2006 11:54
You might want to try ebay for welding books. I recently bought several good books and cd's on the subject at great prices. People around me say that the more I learn, the more dangerous I become.

I just checked, and ebay has 33 pages of welding books to choose from. You'd just have to sift through everything that doesn't apply. Here's the link to the first page:

http://books.search-desc.ebay.com/welding_Books_W0QQfromZR41QQftsZ2QQsacatZ267

Also, here's a link to a stick electrode selection guide (poster) that might be helpful:

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/wc19s.pdf
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-10-2006 13:05
You say you're a new welder with limited experience.
So, as a university professor, what I suggest you is, before reading books, take a good look at manufacturers' catalogs: Lincoln, Esab, Thyssen Boehler, Kobe Steel etc.
Those companies have their icons on the home page of this same site. You can either download the catalogs or e-mail the companies asking them to send you the catalogs in printed form (for free, of course). I prefer this latter case because printed matter is nicer than downloaded one, but nothing wrong if you prefer the first.
Then, after you got familiar with the catalogs, you can start reading the books that have been suggested by the other gentlemen.
Apprenticeship always go from the easier to the more difficult.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-11-2006 07:09
Hello Professor!!!

As a welding instructor myself, I tend to "marry" both types of learning materials together for better comprehension...
Then again, this is just my own personal method of "madness" IMHO.

On another note, a US senatorial delegation is heading down to Brazil in order to take a look at your sugar cane ethanol producing plants. They were invited by the government of Brazil.

Well, I for one think it's a long overdue move on the part of our own government to finally get serious about pursuing alternative and renewable sources of energy in order to reduce our dependence of foreign oil.

We're finally paying attention to Brazil!!! Mainly from the recent (last year) "60 minutes" piece shown here on television about the success of Brazil's "Alchohol" alternative automobile fuel plants...

When the folks in Brazil mentioned how much less they were paying on average for this type of fuel as opposed to the traditional gasoline, well let's just say that we were convinced that we had to pursue this further...

Question: I wonder what types of metals are being used in the construction of these plants?

I must say: Not bad for a third world country, Brazil that is!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By GIOVANILOPES (*) Date 02-12-2006 21:49
Dear Sir

MATERIAL SPECIFICATION USED IN ÁLCOOL PRODUCTION :

STEEL CASTING – ASTM A 216 GR. WCB, ASTM A 148 GR. 90/60, 115/95, ASTM A 487 GR. 9N; ASTM A 351 GR. CF8 M...

IRON CAST - DIVERSE SPECIFICATIONS

OTHER STEEL – ASTM A 36 FOR STRUCUTURAL USE, ASTM A 285 Gr. C / ASTM A 516 Gr. 60/70 FOR BOILERS, ASTM A 532 FOR MILLING.

SDS

GIOVANI LOPES
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-12-2006 22:36
Hello ssbn727,
Here in Queensland, Australia we are having strenuous debate over introducing ethanol into our fuel. I live in the middle of a major sugar cane producing area and the farmers are looking to diversify but are encountering opposition to ethanol production.There is a lot of scare tactics about how much damage it does to your engine dependant on the % of ethanol in your fuel.
The other major alternative resource we have is shale oil which has got huge reserves all up the East Coast of Australia.Suncor (Canada) built an R&D project in Gladstone where they superheat the rock and extract oil (and also naptha).The one deposit in Gladstone has supposedly got enough oil to supply the whole of Australia for 80 years unfortunately it is possibly the "dirtiest" way of extracting oil and the environmentalists have had the plant shut down.It was also not helped by the fact that the 4 major international oil companies (Shell, BP, Caltex and Mobil) all refused to buy the oil (even though it was high quality) and it had to be exported at a much greater cost.
What also mystifies me is here in Australia we export the majority of oil we produce (even though we have numerous refineries) and then we import it back in and our price at the bowser is governed by North Sea oil prices.
I wish someone could tell me why the price of fuel never goes down at the same speed it goes up?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-13-2006 07:42
G'day Shane!

Without getting into a story regarding your query about why the price of gas is so high... I'll give you one name that sounds very familiar to what's going on "Down under": ENRON.

Those who sell are always looking for the most profit and the most sophisticated schemes to increase their margins...
When the demand is up, the supply keeps getting "taxed" and so does the consumer.This results in record profits for the oil companies.

On another note; If that similar project being run by Shell in the states works the way they anticipate it will (at least with the pilot plant), then the 4 oil companies in question will change their minds in purchasing the oil in Gladstone.

Question : do the automobile manufacturers in Australia plan on introducing engines that run on the so called "Flexfuels" such as E-85 or similar fuels based on ethanol?

Respectfully,
SSBN727

Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-13-2006 19:43
Shane,
here in Brazil it's added 25% of anhydrous alcohol to the gasoline. In other words, the fuel that you put into your car at the service station consists of 75% gasoline and 25% anhydrous alcohol.
You can feed also pure alcohol, if you want to. What you can not do is to feed pure gasoline; it doesn't exist.
Bosch has developed a special sensor for your car engine that recognizes if the fuel in the tank is pure alcohol, 75/25 gas-alcohol or a mixture of both (you may have filled the tank with alcohol when it was half full of gasoline), and automatically establishes the fuel/air relationship for a good combustion. This device has had a tremendous success.
Alcohol being a polar liquid, it's more corrosive than gasoline. Nevertheless, corrosion problems, common at the early stages of its use as fuel (25 years ago), have long been solved.
Giovanni S. Crisi

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-13-2006 07:44
Hello GIOVANI LOPES!

Thank you very much for your reply!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-13-2006 19:28
To Giovani Lopes' list of materials I must add AISI Tp 304 s.s. plate for fractionating columns and trays.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By GIOVANILOPES (*) Date 02-16-2006 23:59
OK PROFESSOR.

SDS

Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-13-2006 19:49
ssbn,
don't be that enthusiastic at alcohol prices.
Here in Brazil alcohol is cheaper than gasoline at the service station because it's subsidized by government. Actually, the production cost of alcohol is higher than that of gasoline.
If it wasn't subsidized, its price at the service station would be some 30% higher than that of gasoline.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-13-2006 21:26

Giovanni

It is exactly the same here in America.

We (the taxpayers) pay a premium to farmers to grow corn for ethinol... Ethinol would not be profitable in a true free market system. Heck we pay farmers to not grow corn sometimes!

Much of our fuels have manditory ethinol added so that the subsidized farms can have money. It's a messy business if you ask me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / smaw electrode types and sizes