Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Music while welding
- - By 054nc Date 02-14-2006 01:55
Sometimes a radio just doesn't do it while welding - too far away. I've tried a pocket radio with earphones but the earphones go bad after a week or two. Anybody else found a solution? Any ideas on if an iPod would survive the welding environment? Thanks!
Parent - - By 56780 (*) Date 02-14-2006 15:40
I wouldn't suggest an Ipod. Too expensive to risk breaking. I would look at a cheaper version of mp3 player. They're skip proof and you can get songs galore off of peer to peer networks like kazaa or morpheus to download onto your mp3 player for free. Just buy a quality set of ear buds that won't quit on you.
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 02-14-2006 23:25
A while back(1990 or so) I had an F.M. radio that was built into an eyeglass frame. Batteries were in one side frame, tuner in the other.
It looked a little goofy, but worked OK if you had a strong station near you.
A friend in the military got it for me, I wouldn't know where to find one today.
Parent - By beracah (*) Date 02-15-2006 03:20
I just purchased a Dewalt job-site radio/battery charger for my mobile rig. If you can't hear that thing then seek imediate medical attention!!

Beracah
Parent - By cheeseandchive Date 03-19-2006 19:48
i use a zen micro mp3, it seems to be ok and pretty sturdy inside its leather case. johnny cash, nirvana, foo fighters and the stone roses/ian brown at the moment. have you heard of kt tunstall yet over the pond ? she's sung me through many a shift ! check her out, she's from st andrews. a fifer just like me (except she's better looking, LOL)
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-15-2006 07:54
You can get a noise reducing earmuff with a radio in it. Since it's safety equipment it should be a deductable expense at tax time. I don't know how much it would interfere with a hood though.
Bill
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 02-15-2006 18:15
just a comment on headphones:
Not sure of your working environment but-

With your hood down, you cannot see job site hazards comming at you-

With headphones on ....you can't hear them coming at you ..or hear other guys yelling at you to get out of the way!

Weld safe!

Parent - By 054nc Date 02-16-2006 00:25
Very good point. I work in a job shop with curtained weld booths. I personally keep the volume low enough that I can carry on a conversation with someone when they come in the booth (most of the time). If the guy in the next booth trys to sing or does his high pitched whistling, then I turn the volume up. When leaving the weld booth and walking in the shop I remove the earphones.
Parent - - By Brainfarth (*) Date 02-15-2006 20:07
When I first started welding I tried to ductape a cd player and earphones into my welding hood, but that didn't pan out too well. I've tried a small radio and head phones, but depending on the welding process at the time, I got alot of interference and alot of places wouldn't allow it because of safety issues. So I've bought a few portable stereos over the years to have them die after only a few months from grinding dust and abuse.
About 2 years ago I picked a sony boom box at a garage sale for 5 or so bucks and it's still working great(except for the cd player which died about 3 months ago). It goes loud enough that I can hear it from pretty far away(so can my co-workers which is good and bad sometimes). But I've noticed that when I try to listen to the AM talk shows I get interference from plasma and spray, even from across the shop.
I wouldn't recomend an expecive iPod because I've gone through a few cell phones from smashing them against things and grinding dust(I think) and I don't think an iPod would hold up any better.
Parent - By RICHCHARLES (*) Date 02-15-2006 21:39
Hoodlum makes two helmets with built in am/fm radios, but the helmet itself is stupid looking.
Parent - By trevwelder Date 03-05-2006 05:08
I was looking for a hood for my sons b-day and I seen this. Never used one so don't know anything about it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Welding-Helmet-w-Digital-FM-Radio_W0QQitemZ7596130193QQcategoryZ92090QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Music while welding