Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brass spot welding
- - By jfrase02 Date 02-15-2006 18:45
Hello everyone, this is my first post so please forgive me if I say anything wrong.

I am looking for a welding specification for spot welding brass sheet together to make a box. The material is already specified, it is .020” thick brass sheet, which will have a “lap joint” style in the corners, and it will have 5 sides, top, and then 4 sides supporting it with an open bottom. The spec that I was referencing has been canceled and no longer in use (MIL-W-6860), it was then superseded by another spec (MIL-W-6858), but it no longer deals with brass. I am looking for a similar weld specification US DoD, military, AWS, or even a SAE spec that gives some concrete definition of the specification needed to weld brass. Any help would be greatly appreciated; even phone numbers to people within AWS that I can talk to would be helpful. Thank you.

Parent - - By jfrase02 Date 02-17-2006 19:27
Anyone?
Parent - - By - Date 02-17-2006 20:25
I'm not familiar with it, but what about AWS C1.1?
Mankenberg
Parent - By jfrase02 Date 02-20-2006 14:10
AWS C1.1-2000 is a recommended practice that is basically a collection of data and procedures to assist the user in setting up resistance welding equipment from how I understand it. It does not give the basic standards as to what qualifies as a fully welded part. I tried to reference this, but I was told it was not specific enough to pass for a Mil Spec style print call out. Thank you for your idea though.

-John
Parent - By machine Date 02-20-2006 00:49
It really depends on what grade (type) or brass you are dealing with. The process set-up will also be important (electrodes - base material, contact face diameter, geometery, etc.)

But, some ballpark parameters are 400-500 # electrode force, 4-6 cycles weld time, 22,000 - 25,000 Amps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brass spot welding